Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Walther CCP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/walther-ccp-105313/)

DP03 03-21-2014 12:40 PM

Walther CCP

I realize some traditionalists will balk at the gas mechanism, but I really like it on my Sig 716 (makes shooting .308 very comfortable), and I'm going to take a look at this gun when it's in stores. If it in fact shoots smoothly, it could be a good pistol that I could enjoy sharing with my wife........
http://www.waltherarms.com/ccp/#.UywycNzvgds

John_Deer 03-21-2014 01:37 PM

I would be concerned about cleaning the gas tube/port. I would have the clerk at the LGS show me how to clean the gas assembly before I plunked my money down.

The gas mechanism on rifles doesn't really do a lot for reducing recoil. A good fitting gun will do more to reduce perceived recoil than any gas system. It's not like the 308 is known to be a hard kicking caliber. A 150 gr 308 cartridge will generate around 15 lb of recoil. A 12 ga 3" slug generates over 70 lb of recoil.

DP03 03-21-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1535807)
I would be concerned about cleaning the gas tube/port. I would have the clerk at the LGS show me how to clean the gas assembly before I plunked my money down.

The gas mechanism on rifles doesn't really do a lot for reducing recoil. A good fitting gun will do more to reduce perceived recoil than any gas system. It's not like the 308 is known to be a hard kicking caliber. A 150 gr 308 cartridge will generate around 15 lb of recoil. A 12 ga 3" slug generates over 70 lb of recoil.

If cleaning the gas assembly is half as easy as the Sig, then it's simple. Twist, remove, and clean the gas rod of all the stuff that goes elsewhere on a DI :)

On a pistol, I don't know. Haven't seen one yet. But Walther is clearly stating the gas system on this pistol reduces recoil.

JonM 03-23-2014 01:45 AM

not a huge fan of walther since they merged with smith and wesson. looks like H&K either sold their P7 gas system or the patent ran out. its an interesting system but not easy to maintain in a handgun as most handgun powders are pretty damn dirty which was a HUGE issue with the P7 and in the original version in the Steyr GB.

looks like walther is going to give this failed system another college boy try...

jjones45 03-23-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1537355)
not a huge fan of walther since they merged with smith and wesson. looks like H&K either sold their P7 gas system or the patent ran out. its an interesting system but not easy to maintain in a handgun as most handgun powders are pretty damn dirty which was a HUGE issue with the P7 and in the original version in the Steyr GB.

looks like walther is going to give this failed system another college boy try...

I thought walther severed those ties with smith&wesson. I don't know why walther would try to make a success out of such a problematic handgun design as well, unless they know something we don't know. I'm still very interested in this gun as well, even with the gas system. I will however wait to see if it's reliable before I purchase it.

Never enough guns or ammo

JonM 03-23-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45 (Post 1537607)
I thought walther severed those ties with smith&wesson. I don't know why walther would try to make a success out of such a problematic handgun design as well, unless they know something we don't know. I'm still very interested in this gun as well, even with the gas system. I will however wait to see if it's reliable before I purchase it.

Walther gets its rep from from the ppk series pistols which weren't as good as they are made out. They company floundered after ww2 when the nazi money ran out and finally got sold to sw. I'm not sure if they are part of it anymore or not.

I've not been impressed with anything they have put out since they left manhurin france. Trying to recreate a faulty design looks like marketing more than ingenuity

jjones45 03-23-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1537613)
Walther gets its rep from from the ppk series pistols which weren't as good as they are made out. They company floundered after ww2 when the nazi money ran out and finally got sold to sw. I'm not sure if they are part of it anymore or not.

I've not been impressed with anything they have put out since they left manhurin france. Trying to recreate a faulty design looks like marketing more than ingenuity

I certainly appreciate the history of walther but I have to disagree with your take on not being impressed with anything since the departure from France. My ppq is currently my favorite and I got to shoot a p99 that was pretty sweet as well the other day. I also hear good things about the pps. I like striker fired handguns so I guess that's just my opinion

SB777 03-23-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjones45 (Post 1537794)
I certainly appreciate the history of walther but I have to disagree with your take on not being impressed with anything since the departure from France. My ppq is currently my favorite and I got to shoot a p99 that was pretty sweet as well the other day. I also hear good things about the pps. I like striker fired handguns so I guess that's just my opinion

For what it's worth, I've had a good experience with my Walther PPK380. After running a few thousand rounds through I had to send it in for service and had an excellent and quick response.

CardiacColt68 03-23-2014 05:49 PM

Yep, my PPS and PPQ are both nice shooters that are very reliable. I am a 1911 fan boy, but those two striker fired guns have really surprised me.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

DrFootball 03-23-2014 06:30 PM

Boy, Remington gets back into the "Handgun" side of the market and everybody and their 4th cousin wants an R51 cause it Looks "Cool" and it becomes the new "Uber Exalted Very best in Portability." All of a Sudden, The MSRP goes up $40 and the "little" problems begin to come to light. But Walther Puts out a new Gun using a different "System" of actuation and all the Boo Birds come out!!!! I hear that and I think I'm Covering a Giants Eagles Game, or Rangers Islanders!! Wow,....Just,...Wow...Both Guns are Barely In the Store Sales Displays........

I miss My P5

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk