Very easy questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Very easy questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Very easy questions

I'm very new to guns. I went hunting when I was younger, and have recently been to the range a few times with my dad's pistols. Now that I'm about to move out, I'd like to have the protection of a firearm in the house with me. So here are some questions..

1-I'm left handed, how hard is it to find ambidextrous pistols? Are some pistols manufactured to have the discharge on the left side of the gun (although the right-side discharge hasn't really been a problem with any other pistol I've shot).
2-I'm thinking of getting a 9mm, heard that it's fairly common as a home defense gun. Would it be worth it to upgrade to, say, a .45?
3-Barrel size...how much of a difference will an inch make on accuracy (at say, 25 yards).
4-If it becomes my CCW, should I stay away from certain sizes/calibers/etc.?

I've been looking at some of the subcompact glocks, and there are a few used prices that aren't too bad at my local firing range/gun store. Looks like most people either love or hate the glocks. Regardless, (thanks to the advice in other searched threads) I'll be spending countless hours at different gun shops getting a feel for what I like/what my hands like/what my wallet likes. I'd just like to know a bit more before I head into the shop.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good for you, glad to hear that you are going the way of the gun. My opinion for what its worth is stay away from the sub compacts to start with. They are difficult to shoot even with experienced shooters.
The 9mm debate will rage on long past this post. 9mm is about at the bottom rung of what you want as a self defense pistol round. They are however easy to shoot, cheaper ammo, great availability and choice.
I would test out a couple of cals and models at the range if I were you before you commit.
Personal preference is paramount, get what you can shoot well. A small caliber shot placed well beats a large caliber miss any day.
The only "advice" I will render is buy a quality firearm no matter what you get. One can argue caliber, mag capacity, revolver vs pistol, finish etc all day long. The one thing you must have is reliability, no questions asked.
Good luck with your choice.
regards

Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

Got ya. I'll be heading up to my local Shoot Straight (are they a nation-wide chain? the place is huge..) to look at some pistols, see what they have for rental for the range, and keep browsing around the site. Any others want to chime in about the left-hand discharge question?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #4

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I agree with what Hillbilly has told you. I own a Glock 32 in 357 Sig and love it. I think this size or larger would be best for a beginner. You should stick to the 9MM for now as it recoils much less than the 357 SIG.

I am also left handed and have no problems with the shells ejecting into my line of sight or hitting me. The magazing eject button can easily be manipulated with the trigger finger and it's a natural and easy thing to learn. If you go with a 1911 type pistol get one with an ambidexterous safety and you'll be fine.

Great idea to rent a few guns and try them. I think a Glock 9MM in either full size or mid size frame will serve you well. Let us know!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Buy one of these in 9mm, add Wilson Combat ambi controls. http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/compactprocarry/procarry.php
Ejection side shouldn't change how you shoot a pistol. I've shot hundreds of pistols and never seen one that has a left hand ejection port.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #6

So I went to the gun shop today. Had a guy help me out with a few things... showed me some things that I didn't know, and elaborated on some I did. I still don't know much, but this HK P-30 sure did feel nice. But... $895?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

rubi22

Good questions. If you are just starting out with handguns then it may be best to go with one of the many double-action only pistols. They are easier to learn with as there is just one type of trigger pull as opposed to the traditional double action (double and single action pull). 9mm is a great caliber- it is cheap to practice with, has minimal recoil, and with the proper bullet design and speed it is fine for self defense. If you are looking at using this pistol for a house gun as well as the range and concealed carry then there are some things to keep in mind for carrying- first is the length of the grip. For me anything over five inches long starts to print when I carry. Second is grip thickness, and last is barrel length. Weight also factors in if you are carrying concealed (look for a polymer or aluminum framed pistol). Don't worry about being extremely accurate at long distances as your usual self-defense range will usually be less than ten feet.
So what is a good starter pistol- look at the Glock 19 and Springfield XD, both can be had at good prices new. A sig 228/229 CPO (factory refurbished) can also be had at a good price. HK's are great pistols but are pretty expensive when bought new. Good luck- and remember that getting the pistol is only the first step- the next is some form of training and then practice, practice, practice.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #8

P-30 is good if you are rich.

G19 great for mid-range price. Hard to beat actually.

The new Ruger SR9 is nice for $399.

Do more shopping and try out a few if you can before buying. Wish I had done more shopping and less buying. I have guns I don't shoot much.