Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Usp? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/usp-16607/)

hogger129 08-06-2009 07:27 PM

Usp?
 
What are peoples' thoughts on the H&K USP? I was at the store looking at a couple different ones and was wondering if they are a good gun or not? I am planning on a 1911 first, but maybe later I might save up for a USP. Just wondering what people think of them and if the 9mm or .45 version is better or if the compact or full-size model is better. Thanks.

canebrake 08-06-2009 07:37 PM

hogger129, I want to first tell you that I am a .45 ACP bigot!

Second I am a 1911 bigot.

Third, I am a Colt bigot.

With that on the record, if you select anything other than a .45 ACP +P as a PD round you are stuck on stupid!

The H&K USP is a fine weapon.

Before you make a selection shoot a mix of 1911's prior to your final decision. I KNOW once you experience the trigger of a good running 1911, you will make the logical decision!

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...olt_logo_s.jpg http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/1911anim.gif

Dillinger 08-06-2009 07:42 PM

You want one? I got a USP Tactical with less than 800 rounds through it. I will make you a great deal....

JD

canebrake 08-06-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 140468)
You want one? I got a USP Tactical with less than 800 rounds through it. I will make you a great deal....

JD

Now there's a testimonial!

Sorry JD http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

robocop10mm 08-06-2009 08:01 PM

Two issues with the USP.
1. The early ones had mag release "wings" that were too large and the springs under them were too weak. It was very easy to unintentionally dislodge a magazine turning it into an expensive single shot. This was corrected fairly early on so it should not be a problem now.

2. The magazines can be inserted backwards. The front and back mag corners are all equally squared. The mag will not seat properly but will stay in the mag well. Under stress one could load a mag backwards and really foul up a reload. Proper training can over come this issue.

I have found very few out of the box pistols that are as accurate as the USP. The barrels are dead tough and built the amazing HK strength standard.

I was training some Narcotics Agents several years ago and saw a guy with a USP 45 experience a squib load. Before I could tell him to stop, he cleared the fired case, chambered a second round and fired. The recoil would have made a .44 mag proud. Both bullets struck the target. I called a cease fire and inspected the gun. No visible problems. I fired a mag full to confirm and gave it back to him. He completed the course w/o any other problems. The gun has had over 2000 rounds through it since and is perfectly OK.

Not many guns would even survive something like this and the USP did not even flinch. That's a barrel!

Dillinger 08-06-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 140479)
Now there's a testimonial!

Sorry JD http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

Oh, it's not that. It's a hell of a weapon! As Robo indicated the thing flat shoots. I have always grouped EXTREMELY well with the weapon. I have never had a problem no matter what I fed it. The thing is a little big, but that isn't a real draw back.

But it has several draw backs when you compare it head to head with my Nighthawks. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

JD

canebrake 08-06-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 140495)
Oh, it's not that. It's a hell of a weapon! As Robo indicated the thing flat shoots. I have always grouped EXTREMELY well with the weapon. I have never had a problem no matter what I fed it. The thing is a little big, but that isn't a real draw back.

But it has several draw backs when you compare it head to head with my Nighthawks. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

JD

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v.../blue_glow.gif, props JD but for the money, I'd go with the Colt!

If cash is not a problem, I would go with the NightHawk!

Colt 1991 Government .45acp 5" Blue for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $714.00

My current 45:

Colt 7 + 1 Round Government 45 ACP w/5" Barrel/Stainless Fin for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $880.00

SGT-MILLER 08-06-2009 09:52 PM

The H&K USP is a great weapon system, but I recommend you take some time to compare it closely with some other similar sidearms before you make a choice. The USP is known for working dependably, and that reputation is true. The H&K series of weapons are all built with great quality, and dependability. The problem is the price. Usually, the H&K lineup is a little spendy, and you may be better off spending your money with a different product depending on your intended uses for the pistol.

Go to your nearest gun dealer, and do the following (take your time because if the gun dealer is a good dealer they won't rush you).

Handle the following (if they have them):

H&K USP

Springfield Armory XD

Glock Model 17/19/22/23

FNH 9

Kimber 1911 (or whatever 1911 they may have)

Ruger SR9 (or a P series if they don't have an SR9)

Smith and Wesson M&P

Once you have messed around with each of these, you may get closer to your goal. Usually, you'll know immediately if you like/dislike a firearm.

You won't go wrong with an H&K, but be advised, they are a little expensive, so be prepared to spend some cash.

As far as 9x19mm versus .45 ACP goes, you have to weigh in a few things. Cost versus capacity versus stopping power versus availiability. It does no good to purchase a .45 if your area has been void of .45 for weeks with no insight to when new batches will arrive. The 9x19mm is smaller, and less powerful than the .45 ACP, but is cheaper to buy and much more common in certain areas.

I could go into the stopping power of each, but that will spark a debate that neither you or I need/want to be a part of. I will say that rest assured, if you put those rounds between the shirt pockets of the target, you WILL drop that target quickly. I don't care if the round is a .45 ACP +P 230 grain uber hollowpoint phaser acid explosive round, or a 115 grain standard variety FMJ 9x19mm target shooting WWB round.

Good luck in your searches and let us know what you get.

orangello 08-06-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 140484)
I was training some Narcotics Agents several years ago and saw a guy with a USP 45 experience a squib load. Before I could tell him to stop, he cleared the fired case, chambered a second round and fired. The recoil would have made a .44 mag proud. Both bullets struck the target. I called a cease fire and inspected the gun. No visible problems. I fired a mag full to confirm and gave it back to him. He completed the course w/o any other problems. The gun has had over 2000 rounds through it since and is perfectly OK.

Not many guns would even survive something like this and the USP did not even flinch. That's a barrel!

"In one particular test, a bullet was deliberately lodged in the barrel and another bullet was fired to clear the obstruction. The barrel was successfully cleared with only minor structural deformation and continued to produce consistent groups when test fired for accuracy.[6]" from the Wiki article i read about this pistol. Freakish :eek:

M14sRock 08-07-2009 12:27 AM

I'm a 1911 fan, and always will be.

However, I recently acquired a USP Tactical in .45 and am very impressed with it. Accuracy, reliability, durability are top notch. The mag release takes some getting used to, and it is a big pistol, but neither are terrible.

I have a friend who is a German Mountain Trooper, and he related a story to me about the USP. When they were issued to his unit, as a demo, they tossed one on the ground and drove over it with an armored vehicle and picked it up and emptied it with no issues. It went back into service immediately.

I have not run a bazillion rds through mine yet, but do have about 1000 downrange and like it just fine so far.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.