The USMC's $22.5 Million Dollar Mistake - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The USMC's $22.5 Million Dollar Mistake

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bismarck,ND
Posts: 858
Liked 390 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

as far as i can tell, the guy in the video has just as much experience in combat as i do.

using his logic, i think the marines should buy Hi Point C9's....because that's what i like

__________________

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

donthav1 is offline  
 
Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #52
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 653
Liked 157 Times on 109 Posts

Default

All the best units are wrong. The 1911 is antiquated, has no stopping power, is unreliable, and is just not suited to the task of a pistol (personal defense).

__________________
hmh is offline  
 
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
When you say the marines designed and improved the 1911. Did the whole marine core design it or individuals in the marines. ?
The individuals who will be carrying it, a select few, are the ones who designed the upgrades to it. AGAIN this is not a fleet Marine weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Do all American special forces use the .45. who's asses were they kicking post WW2. ?
I personally couldn't say exactly. WWII was pretty much the birthing time of our modern special forces. I know different special forces used them in Vietnam, and there are all kinds of actions that are public, and many that aren't, that involved special forces and their weapons since then. I'm not a special forces historian and don't know everything they did. It is documented that Force Recon (AGAIN, the unit that these pistols are for), never gave up their 1911's.



Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
If the armies of most countries don't use .45 i have to assume they know what they are doing. It would be like the British going back to using the .445 webley.
Again, is there a reason that if one branch's special operations units want a particular weapon, then they should try to be like everyone else? Why did you choose your carry weapon? (I'm assuming you carry, forgive me if I just made an ASS of U and ME). Did you choose your personal weapon because it's what everyone else has?
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #54
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Amsdorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 575
Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
Does that hat really keep your head warm ? I live at 6300 in Idaho and I have never needed a hat like that. When I watched the video it looked more like a purpose documented statement without much gunfire so I just didn't get the meaning of wearing the headset to keep warm. If I offended you in any way I will say I'm sorry......... but i won't really mean it.
Let's try this again for the slow minded.

It was a cold day. Yes the hat keeps my head warm, thanks for your concern. It is a gun club. We are required to wear hearing protection and eye protection at all times when on any of the club's firing ranges. And my gloves keep my wittle fingers all toasty warm and cozy!

Any more questions?

__________________
Member of: NRA (Life); GOA (Life); NSSF; GCA.
Guns and Shooting Videos: VDMA Videos.
Amsdorf is offline  
AR10 Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
All the best units are wrong. The 1911 is antiquated, has no stopping power, is unreliable, and is just not suited to the task of a pistol (personal defense).
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but I'm going to use this quote anyway...
Assuming this is an honest opinion, then we can assume you have an idea of what you feel is the best combat sidearm, correct? So... By that reasoning, if someone were to allow you to pick your chosen sidearm for duty carry, you would do it, correct?

Well, that's exactly what the Marine special forces have done. They were allowed to pick their duty sidearm, and they did, based on their own personal preferences and experiences. I'm sure there were some dissenters, there always are. But, overall, this is their chosen sidearm.

So, should we all continue beating this dead horse?





By the way, I think Amsdorf's hat is pretty damn cool. It takes some confidence to pull that off.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #56
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,329
Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Default

Lets put this to bed. We all have opinions. We all know, or should know, opinions are like rectums.

I respectfully disagree with the premis the 1911 is an obsolete design. I do, however, like the FNX.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
jackrich3 Likes This 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
7.2 Million Dollar Award For "Popcorn Lung" alsaqr Politics, Religion and Controversy 8 09-20-2012 07:32 PM
Marine hits 2.9 million dollar jackpot. downsouth The Club House 2 03-01-2012 08:50 PM
Million dollar insurance to own a gun ??? MrKimber Politics, Religion and Controversy 6 08-10-2010 05:58 PM
$1 Million Dollar Bounty: Sheriff Joe Arpaio Dillinger Legal and Activism 58 08-10-2010 04:51 PM
The Six Million Dollar Man Benning Boy The Club House 16 06-18-2010 06:33 PM