Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The USMC's $22.5 Million Dollar Mistake

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Whatever those guys pick is fine with me. They're the ones carrying it into combat, and I'm more than happy to pay for it.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I didn't know they designed it as i said i thought it was browning.

OK they know better than every army and special forces units worldwide.
It occurs to me that you think you know better than them. Are you involved in special forces? Do you go into combat? If not, what makes you think you know better than then people who actually do? That gun is what they want to use, and I'm guessing there's a pretty damn good reason for that.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #43

Quote:
When you say the marines designed and improved the 1911. Did the whole marine core design it or individuals in the marines. ?

Do all American special forces use the .45. who's asses were they kicking post WW2. ?
Now your just trying to Troll.

Oh and by the way, if it wasn't for our special forces, and our military, you'd be speaking German right now.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #44

Liked 2141 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
You should also ask yourselves why are we, the taxpayers, shelling out $5,600 for each one of these pistols.

When every special ops around the world is equipped with modern, high capacity fighting pistols, why would we send men into harms way with an antiquated, low capacity firearm?

Funny how when people don't have the brains or ability to engage in debate they just have to resort to third grade insults. Cracks me up.

You talking about all the elite military units we had to save or the ones we kicked the hell out of saving the others. When you go into combat you carry the pistol you like and let these guys carry the one they like.

Why does the guy in the video think it's so hard to field strip a 1911? The whole gun be taken down without using any tools at all. It might be an antique but it's still got the best ergonomics and trigger of anything made today.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #45

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

It occurs to me that you think you know better than them. Are you involved in special forces? Do you go into combat? If not, what makes you think you know better than then people who actually do? That gun is what they want to use, and I'm guessing there's a pretty damn good reason for that.
Man give it up, this guy is killing Me, I have arrived at the conclusion that he's just out to piss people off. I was going to buy a toaster but I guess I better check with the pro first, after all who am I to say what kind of toast I want.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Ok looks like we have an intersting debate going on here. If I may put my two cents in. I am a vet. who owns both the the 1911 and an FNP (same as a fnx). I also own a 92fs and I have carried the m9 while deployed. From all these guns I never had a problem with either one. I love my 92 and my FNP (hard to beat 15 rounds of big bad .45). But if I were to pick one pistol to go into combat with it would be the 1911.

Yes the 1911 is old, yes it has a low mag count when compard to plastic wonders. But it is tried and true! The 1911 as many have said has stood the test of time. Force recon has always used the 1911, while others had swithed to the m9. Some of those 1911's are from WW2 and just need to be replaced.

I love my 92fs and fnp but I highly doubt that the aluminum reciver and the polymer reciver of those guns will last 70 years in and out of combat, all the while being misused and abused.

Marine force recon picked the gun that they know and love. Just let it be. They have used them and seem to like them. I am sure by now if there was an issue to be found with the 1911 they would have come acoss it and picked another gun. I have no problem with spending a little extra on a pistol for our special ops guys, they deserve it.

Also a pistol is a back up gun. Remember the rule of 3s. 3 shots within 3 feet within 3 seconds. Also I would take one .45 over 2 9mm rounds anyday.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Last edited by colmustard; 02-10-2013 at 12:06 AM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #47

Liked 350 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Now your just trying to Troll.

Oh and by the way, if it wasn't for our special forces, and our military, you'd be speaking German right now.

Quote:
Oh and by the way, if it wasn't for our special forces, and our military, you'd be speaking German right now

I think there were more than American special forces that won WW2 anyway a said post WW2. I am not trying to troll just people make statements i like them to back them up.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #48

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
People tend to use gloves, a hat and hearing protection on a cold day at the gun club.

Does that hat really keep your head warm ? I live at 6300 in Idaho and I have never needed a hat like that. When I watched the video it looked more like a purpose documented statement without much gunfire so I just didn't get the meaning of wearing the headset to keep warm. If I offended you in any way I will say I'm sorry......... but i won't really mean it.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #49

Quote:
I think there were more than American special forces that won WW2 anyway a said post WW2. I am not trying to troll just people make statements i like them to back them up.
Whatever. Your trolling. I'm done with this one.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #50
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Interesting the way some people go after the message by going after the messenger. Take apart his hat, his muffs, his shaving, his coat, his weight, and on and on and on.

One of you guys called him creepy. For heavens sake, is this third grade?

On to the subject of the tread, and the subject of the video, the modern use of an ancient firearm, the 1911.

If I were choosing a modern sidearm to go to war with, it would not be a 1911. I think they are great for collectors, range shooters, plinkers, etc. However, for active duty use in a military, militia, law enforcement, packing 8 rounds is just not enough, and I agree with the jist of the video.

If someone can qualify with it, I would say a Glock 20. If not up to the big hitter 10mm, a full sized Glock in .40 S&W would be my choice.

I switched from a 1911 style pistol to a .45 Glock 25 years ago, and switched again, once I had an opportunity to try out a 10mm Glock, 20 years ago.

In two clips, I have 37 rounds of 10mm firepower. In two clips on a 1911, that would be what, 15?

No comparison. IMHO. The members here can disagree with me without calling my Mother names by the way.

Last edited by AR10; 02-10-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Closed Thread