The USMC's $22.5 Million Dollar Mistake - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The USMC's $22.5 Million Dollar Mistake

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

That cost includes: initial cost of the pistol, replacement cost (basically buying a spare), service kits for both, and specialized maintenance and materials training ("this us what you've asked for, more have a seat and let us tell you how we did it, and how you can make it last longer). The per unit cost is really closer to $1000 per actual pistol, when the entire package is taken into account.

Once again, this is what those special warriors of the Marine Corps asked for. They were instrumental in designing it exactly to their specifications. "Why would we send men into harm's way with an antiquated, low capacity firearm?" The real question is, "why would we decide to intentionally ignore their choice?"

Face it, naysayers. This is historical. One of the few times that the modern warrior has been allowed to choose their own weapon.

The "well this would be a better gun!" Is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what is needed.

Don't try to force something on them, when they've very clearly chosen for themselves what they feel will make them the most effective warriors.

That's the kind of mentality that stuck us with the M16, which many still hate, and in my opinion, stagnated the living hell out of weapons development.
Awesome point, besides We're not the ones that have to use it. But for the grace of God go I, right?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
So you think soldiers that's have had basic training on firearms little of it on handguns are well qualified to choice what handgun should be issued.

They are going against the expertise and experience of most armies world wide what do they know that the rest don't.

So you think that the countries that spend billions on American arms should make them or buy them elsewhere. I would of thought you would have wanted the American army to buy the best. And not only if they are made in America.

Do you have psychic powers and know what firearms experience people posting on the forum have.
Prove Me wrong, what makes you more qualified than an elite combat marine who got to design and use his weapon of choice. Let it go man I'm not going to argue just for the sake of it, l can do that with My teenage daughter.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #33

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
The guy in that video has some kind of strange growth on his face around his chin and the corners of his mouth.

That hat and them glasses are creepy looking too.
Chin one or chin two may i ask?

Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 423 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Prove Me wrong, what makes you more qualified than an elite combat marine who got to design and use his weapon of choice.
I thought it was moses browning that designed the 1911. What handgun expertise has an elite combat marine what ever that is. Got on handguns.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #35

Quote:

I thought it was moses browning that designed the 1911. What handgun expertise has an elite combat marine what ever that is. Got on handguns.
Dont know Brother, backing out of this one. Just glad they got what they wanted, as long as these Men are fighting for My freedom I hope they get anything and everything they need or want.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Who do you think should design a gun for combat. The Special Op Marines who have used the 1911 platform, have been in combat with it for years, and will use the new design in combat, or some guy in an office?

Old 02-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 423 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Who do you think should design a gun for combat.
I didn't know they designed it as i said i thought it was browning.

OK they know better than every army and special forces units worldwide.

Last edited by manta; 02-09-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #38

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

Parts and upgrades to it were designed by and/or chosen by the guys who will be carrying it and servicing it.

And no one is claiming that they know better than every army and special forces units worldwide. But I'm sure they know better than anyone, what exactly it is that they want.

Should I allow someone to choose my car because they know better than I what makes a good car? Or should I choose my own because I know what I need and what I'm looking for?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #39

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I prefer stopping power over the amount of ammo I can carry with me, which is why I like the M1A and 1911 better. Said M1A because very few M14's are in private hands that I know are legal.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:

Browning did the basic design of the 1911. The design all 1911s are based off of. The Marines designed the version they will use. They looked at what could be inproved for their needs, and they improved it.

Concidering that our special forces have been kicking ass for decades, I'd say yes, they do know what's best for THEM.