Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Which tupperware gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/tupperware-gun-11739/)

Franciscomv 03-11-2009 02:13 PM

Which tupperware gun?

I'm a revolver, 1911 and carbon steel knife kind of guy, not into modern sinthetic stuff. However, I've been wondering about polymer framed guns for a while.

This would just be an addition to my collection with no particular purpose in mind, I might use it for IPSC (production), but it's mostly to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Glocks are out of the question, they don't feel right in my hand and I don't like them. My choices are also a bit narrower than what you can find in the US, since I'm in Argentina.

Anyway, I'm considering a S&W M&P, Steyr M9 and I might also take a look at some Rugers. Which one would you guys pick? I'm going with 9mm since I already have a .45 and a .357 for protection, this would be a "fun" gun (although I might end up carrying it if I really like it).

I've got no experience with either of these guns, and there aren't any ranges where I can rent one to try out (they only have Glocks for rent). I'm particularly interested in any info about the trigger pull on these guns.

spittinfire 03-11-2009 02:29 PM

I know it wasn't on your list but take a good look at Springfield's XD and XDM. The XD comes in a number of configuratoins in 9mm, 3" sub compact, 4" and 5". The M only comes in 5" but it does have a match grade barrel, reworked trigger and removable back strap. I have 2 XD's and I love them both!

Dillinger 03-11-2009 03:07 PM

Which Tupperware??

That's like asking which bat would you like me to beat you with? :D

The fuss is that the weapons can be manhandled by the masses and will perform without all that messy maintanence and upkeep. The fuss is that the weapons can be had for half the price of a regular production weapon because of space age plastics.

The fuss is that Renny Harlin put that God Damn weapon in Die Hard II with the stupid line "It's a porcelin gun, made in Germany, designed to slip through metal detectors". I hate you Renny Harlin!! :mad:

The trigger pull on Glocks, XD's and even my H & K USP Tactical are all extremely long and seems painfully inadequate to me now that I am a 1911 man.

Your mileage may vary, but I would spend the money on more ammo - and maybe some body armor the way things have been looking lately...

Good luck in the search...

JD

SGT-MILLER 03-11-2009 03:19 PM

The XD would have to be the one, based on my experience.

Look at my last response in the Glock vs XD thread, and it'll give you the reasons why I like the XD.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/xds-glocks-6110/index6.html

robocop10mm 03-11-2009 04:12 PM

I like the XD because of the feel of the grip frame. The XD is also more lefty friendly. The M&P has gotten some rave reviews. A lot of officers here are trading in their Glocks for M&P's. I too, hate the Glock "feel" I can shoot them but do not like them.

roosterjuicer 03-11-2009 04:42 PM

if you cant get a glock, get an XD.

matt g 03-11-2009 05:00 PM

I've got a few buddies that are raving about the new XDms. They're LE only in Cali though, so I've got to wait for one of them to pick one up before I can see what the big deal is.

I might have to go get my A of J and hook up with the local SAR, just so I can be considered LE. Most of Cali's draconian laws don't apply to LE personnel.

Franciscomv 03-11-2009 05:51 PM

Don't hold back, JD, tell me what you really think! :D I agree with you on most points, I'm just thinking about this gun as a fun thing to have. There aren't that many options in Argentina (hell, I don't think there's a single SA 9mm pistol for sale, at least new). Plus I plan to start shooting IPSC matches in the production category and SA guns aren't allowed, for some reason.

Guys, I didn't include the XD because I can't get them in Argentina. I'm stuck with the M&P, Steyr M9 or one of the polymer Rugers (can't remember the model name).

I might end up getting another CZ 75 and forgetting all about plastic.

Dillinger 03-11-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscomv (Post 80854)
Don't hold back, JD, tell me what you really think! :D I agree with you on most points,

Don't I always? I thought you guys liked that. I guess I could lie to you all the time instead. :cool:

Quote:

An EXCELLENT Idea....

matt g 03-11-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscomv (Post 80854)
Don't hold back, JD, tell me what you really think! :D I agree with you on most points, I'm just thinking about this gun as a fun thing to have. There aren't that many options in Argentina (hell, I don't think there's a single SA 9mm pistol for sale, at least new). Plus I plan to start shooting IPSC matches in the production category and SA guns aren't allowed, for some reason.

Guys, I didn't include the XD because I can't get them in Argentina. I'm stuck with the M&P, Steyr M9 or one of the polymer Rugers (can't remember the model name).

The Steyrs are good pieces.