Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > TulAmmo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Instead i picked the stupidest time to buy my first .223

Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #92

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj
Instead i picked the stupidest time to buy my first .223
Lmao. It's okay, it'll pick back up soon.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #93

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Lmao. It's okay, it'll pick back up soon.
Yeah-
Least you don't have to clean it for awhile

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #94
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1675 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

In desperation I bought a bulk can of 900 rounds 115gr 9mm TulAmmo. I've never been one to do things by halves, especially when it comes to screwing up! Mistake 1: buying bulk before trying some. Mistake 2: buying Russian. Mistake 3: trying it first at an IDPA match.

I HATE TULAMMO! And so does my XDm. I hate being stupid too (see mistake 3).

When a round can get into the chamber, it seems to fire just fine. But the problems start long before that. Even loading a magazine reveals a problem.

After about 5-6 rounds loaded they start to jam in the stock, factory, XDm magazine. You push the stack down to allow you to put another round in. To do so, you must push slightly farther than where it will be with the new round in it. But, the rounds jam up and the follower / spring do not push back up to catch the new round tightly. It's rattling around loose in the top and shakes out with no effort. Take that round out and the rest stay down where you pushed them. With a lot of tapping and bumping and swearing you can sometimes get the follower to apply a little pressure on the top round. After about 50 rounds of that I gave up.

I'm going to try taking the magazines apart, cleaning them, hitting them with a tiny spritz of silicone spray and reassembling. Then I'll see if they load properly into the magazines. I'm also going to try them in my son's single stack Taurus PT92. Maybe they don't like the double stacking.

If all that fails, I need to find a way to trade the remaining 17 boxes of CRAP for some real ammo. Any suggestions on how/where to do that? Major stores (Academy, Bass Pro, etc.) won't take returns on ammo, so they probably won't take ammo from a private person. I was thinking maybe some small LGS or maybe CraigsList (local trading).

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #95

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
In desperation I bought a bulk can of 900 rounds 115gr 9mm TulAmmo. I've never been one to do things by halves, especially when it comes to screwing up! Mistake 1: buying bulk before trying some. Mistake 2: buying Russian. Mistake 3: trying it first at an IDPA match.

I HATE TULAMMO! And so does my XDm. I hate being stupid too (see mistake 3).

When a round can get into the chamber, it seems to fire just fine. But the problems start long before that. Even loading a magazine reveals a problem.

After about 5-6 rounds loaded they start to jam in the stock, factory, XDm magazine. You push the stack down to allow you to put another round in. To do so, you must push slightly farther than where it will be with the new round in it. But, the rounds jam up and the follower / spring do not push back up to catch the new round tightly. It's rattling around loose in the top and shakes out with no effort. Take that round out and the rest stay down where you pushed them. With a lot of tapping and bumping and swearing you can sometimes get the follower to apply a little pressure on the top round. After about 50 rounds of that I gave up.

I'm going to try taking the magazines apart, cleaning them, hitting them with a tiny spritz of silicone spray and reassembling. Then I'll see if they load properly into the magazines. I'm also going to try them in my son's single stack Taurus PT92. Maybe they don't like the double stacking.

If all that fails, I need to find a way to trade the remaining 17 boxes of CRAP for some real ammo. Any suggestions on how/where to do that? Major stores (Academy, Bass Pro, etc.) won't take returns on ammo, so they probably won't take ammo from a private person. I was thinking maybe some small LGS or maybe CraigsList (local trading).
Local trading shud be eazy - just honestly explain the situation with your gun. Any experienced shooter will understand & most likely know if his gun will handle it --Course there may be a slight loss-- That or just sell it--THAT wud be EZ & a little profit ---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 02-27-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #96

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts

I would put an add in the BARTER section of c-list if I were you. I'm pretty sure they won't let anybody "sell" firearms on there so I assume that goes for ammo to, but I have seen adds in the Barter section of guys looking to trade guns.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #97

OK, I'm an idiot. The PT92 is not a single stack. But it's not as offset as my XDm. Tried loading a mag full of TulAmmo and the magazine had no jamming problems. Now I have another option. I could borrow his PT92 and run the Classifier in SSP with his gun.

Ahh...ta heck with that...I'll figure out how to trade for some real ammo and THEN run the Classifier in SSP.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #98

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I keep hearing it's dirty but I would rather buy it over the Winchester white box stuff. After 150 rounds of Tula everything stayed pretty clean compared to 50 less rounds of Winchester. Maybe I got a bad/old box but even the casings of the WWB were black and nasty compared to the Tula. My CZ75 seems to not care what it's fed so I'll pick the cheap Russian ammo over the cheap American ammo any day if those were my only options.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #99

Well, I made it to Wanamachers in Tulsa. Found an ammo table that was willing to trade down. I got about 10 boxes of brass cased stuff (that I've used before) for 17 boxes of my TulAmmo. Good trade for both of us. I traded zero stuff that I could use for 10 boxes that I could use, so I win. He traded 10 boxes he could sell for 17 boxes he could sell for about the same price, so he won.

Next I get to talk my son out of his PT92 for the next regular club match (in May). Then maybe I'll have some classification in 3 categories! (Just Marksman in each probably, but it's a start!)

Balota

winds-of-change Likes This 

Newest Threads