Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > trying to pick first pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
hi. i've been around for a while but mostly stick to the .22 section as that's what i predominately have. i will be turning 21 in july 2014 and i plan to purchase a handgun on my birthday. i'm trying to figure out which gun to get. my total experence with shooting handguns to date has been shooting my uncle's heritage .22 revolver twice, some .22lr semi auto and a .380 auto each once. i was reasonably accurate with all three the first time i shot them (i shot the .22s when i was 13 or 14, it was the first time i had ever fired a firearm. the heritage was either the first or second i shot, the semi was 3rd. i shot the .380 a year or 2 ago; all shots where within 1 foot of a bottle floating in a drainage ditch at about 15-20 yards. it was a subcompact i believe).

i'm about 5'8" and 225lbs. i'm reasonably strong (not super strong, but i can lift my gokart) and have a good grip. i can handle the recoil of my 20 gauge with high brass without whimpering much (6lbs break action with plastic butplate, no recoil pad).

now, i do have an idea of what i want, but wasnt sure which would be best. a few that i like are the Springfield xdm, Beretta Px4 storm, 92fs and the sig 250. i'm leaning towards 9mm because it has the highest capacity and it's cheap. i plan to open carry until i finish the ccw classes. before anyone says i should take the classes first, i want to use my own gun to take the class. although, i may continue to open carry (i get the feeling that a gun in my waistband will be uncomfortable and my front pockets are occupied by my cell, wallet, lighter and pocket knives; i dont like the idea of sitting on a firearm). in case you are wondering, yes there is still a reason to get a ccw. here in michigan, any handgun in a vehicle that is accessible by a passenger is considered consealed. if you dont have a ccw, you have to keep your gun(s) in the trunk or locked case and it has to be unloaded.

i want to know what you guys think of the guns i mentioned and if you have any other suggestions in the same price range, go ahead and suggest them. i'm not hard set on 9mm either, i just know it's the cheapest caliber that is recommended for self defense. the reason i'm asking now is so that i have sufficient time to save up. being 19, i dont have gobs of money laying around and we arent known for being fiscally responsible. i figure i could set aside 20-50 bucks a month plus the odd 5 and what ever is in my change bucket, which could mean as little as $300 or as much as $1500. quite the spread, i know, but worst case scenario, i get a bersa or something used.

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Do not buy a Glock.....as your first gun. They tend to make you not like another gun. Any gun. Buy anything else you might wanna try, then buy a Glock. At least get exposed to a possible other love before you become a Glocksnob. But after you buy that gun.......ya know......then....get a Glock.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

As others have suggested, visit a range that rents handguns and try out different ones. Don't discard Taurus, they make affordable, dependable handguns. Someone already mentioned the Jericho 941/Baby Desert Eagle ll, it come in 9mm, 40sw and 45 qcp. Polymer and all steel model in large frame and sub-compact. I personally have a large frame all steel model for range and home protection and I've never fired a smoother or more precise handgun.