trying to pick first pistol - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > trying to pick first pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thank you all for the help. i will see what my uncle and grandpa have and see if i can get out and shoot some. renting isnt an option because there are only club and private ranges around here and i cant justify the cost of joining for as often as i would use them (i shoot in my back yard).

i was kind of looking for personal experiences with these guns. i want to know what quirks they have, which one people that have shot 2 or more of those i listed found more accurate and/or reliable, perhaps what people ended up getting after looking at the same or similar models i am (even if it wasnt one of these) and what they are like to actually carry everyday.

also, i probably should have mentioned, i'm a southpaw. so left hand controls would be nice to have, but i'm adaptable. i intend to carry in a leg holster until i get my cpl. have any of you done this? any suggestions for holsters? other open carry locations? i like the idea of it being right at hand level but i'm also slightly concerned it might get caught on something.

i'm not apposed to revolvers but i've heard and read things about the cheaper ones losing cylinder-barrel alignment over time and that scares me. the solution for me would be to get a smith and wesson, but i dont know for a fact i'll have the $750+ they seem to demand.

my one issue with going to a gun show is that i'll be broke walking in and poor walking out that and getting a ride may prove difficult (no license yet; ran a stop sign when i took the road test).
thanks again for all the help.

sure, lets ban guns. but let's ban murder and cocaine first...

Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #12

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The beretta px4 is nice but u might like a cz75 or one of its variants they are excellent reliable and accurate as a whole so u might give them a look. A few brands are the eaa witness the canik 55 the jericho 941 all of which are good guns and worth a look

Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #13

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
i'm not apposed to revolvers but i've heard and read things about the cheaper ones losing cylinder-barrel alignment over time and that scares me. the solution for me would be to get a smith and wesson, but i dont know for a fact i'll have the $750+ they seem to demand.
There are lots of fine used Smith & Wesson revolvers out there. A good one, given reasonable care, will be one your grandchildren can enjoy shooting, and it'll cost you a hell of a lot less than the $750 figure you mentioned.

I've owned more pistols than wheel guns, and liked some of them very well indeed. But I hope you won't rule out revolvers. A Smith K- or L-frame in .38 Special/.357 Magnum could be just what you like. I've come back to them myself.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Last edited by shouldazagged; 03-19-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #14

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have 3 of the XDm's and enjoy them all. The trigger is much better than the others on your list. Capacity is awesome also at 19+1 in the regular mag and 13+1 in the short mag. Lots of fun, super reliable.

92fs would be the second one on the list I would buy. Proven platform, accurate too. They are heavy also which helps with recoil.

Sig 250? I like their other models but, not the 250. Trigger is grossly long pull, worse than some revolvers even.

Not impressed with the storm line at all.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

kiabe1, thanks for the suggestions. i kind of overlooked the cz because when i think of them, i think of their rifles and shotguns, which arent exactly cheap. i'll be adding that to the list of guns to handle. i've never heard of canik before and never thought much about eaa or iwi.

shouldazagged, i know there are decent used s&w's out there, but i'm banking on new because i know i can get them. used is a bit more hit and miss. in the perfect world, i'd carry a 43c in an ankle holster. revolvers will always be on the table, but i already know what i want in that category. i'd actually go with an N frame in .44 mag and carry it with .44spl.

InDefence, that's what actually drew me to the xdm. it was the highest capacity i could find a few months ago and i've been wanting one ever since. the fact that it comes with 2 mags, a speed loader, a case and a lock makes it even better. thanks for the feedback on the 250. i'm not apposed to long trigger pulls but i do prefer a single stage.

sure, lets ban guns. but let's ban murder and cocaine first...

Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #16

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

For your first pistol I would suggest something easy to maintain and break down, yet very reliable. Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD/XDM/XDS, or FNH FNS/FNX series... all worth a look to see if its the right starter for you. Like everyone else said, whatever fits you best and whatever you shoot best is usually the way to go. As for the standard calibers being hard to get... they will be available if you are patient. Just find which caliber and style of handgun for you best.

Last edited by jakewpns; 03-19-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 697

be sure to look at the ruger sr9 and sr9c. also great pistols.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

My first pistol was a beretta 84fs. Super reliable and mostly ambi. I am a lefty as well. That was more than 20 years ago. Today I carry a beretta Nano. Ambi mag release and NO OTHER EXTERNAL CONTROLS PERIOD. I like that. I also shoot a SIG P229 and love it even though the only ambi control is the mag release. I got used to decocking it with my left index finger and I never use a slide lock to release anyway. I love SIGs and never hesitate to recommend them.
I would look at a Stoeger Cougar on top of the suggestions from other posters. It's very affordable, reliable and has great ergonomics for a lefty. 92s are great but not the easiest to CC. The cougar in my opinion is like a 92 compact.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #19

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

My first handgun was the Taurus PT1911 .45ACP. I've fired through more than 700 rounds through it.. it felt good in the hand, fairly easy to care for, and it was like candy for my eyes. But the ammo was kind of expensive, and the magazines only held 8 rounds per mag. I sold that in order to get a Browning Hi Power 9mm. It fits so much better than the 1911, its easier to care for and its like sex to my eyes. Plus, each magazine holds 14 bullets and the bullets aren't very expensive, and the recoil is so much better than the 1911. If you ever could, try out a Browning Hi Power (9mm or .40, whichever you prefer). It's very accurate as well.

If you're more into the more modern guns, Springfields, Glocks, and Berettas will do nice, since they all have the option of 9mm.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #20

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
thank you all for the help. i will see what my uncle and grandpa have and see if i can get out and shoot some. renting isnt an option because there are only club and private ranges around here and i cant justify the cost of joining for as often as i would use them (i shoot in my back yard).

i was kind of looking for personal experiences with these guns. i want to know what quirks they have, which one people that have shot 2 or more of those i listed found more accurate and/or reliable, perhaps what people ended up getting after looking at the same or similar models i am (even if it wasnt one of these) and what they are like to actually carry everyday.

also, i probably should have mentioned, i'm a southpaw. so left hand controls would be nice to have, but i'm adaptable. i intend to carry in a leg holster until i get my cpl. have any of you done this? any suggestions for holsters? other open carry locations? i like the idea of it being right at hand level but i'm also slightly concerned it might get caught on something.

my one issue with going to a gun show is that i'll be broke walking in and poor walking out that and getting a ride may prove difficult (no license yet; ran a stop sign when i took the road test).
thanks again for all the help.
Don't know exactly what you mean by a "leg holster".

Please don't dismiss Ruger revolvers... or Ruger anything, for that matter. Ruger makes fine guns that stack up against anything made today -and are better that a good many of those made today.