Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Trigger work - Yay or Nay? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/trigger-work-yay-nay-44367/)

Thadeuce 06-26-2011 07:37 PM

Trigger work - Yay or Nay?

I'm gonna be taking a combat pistol course in Sept of this year. Should I leave my trigger stock or lighten it up a little? It's at 5.5# I believe. I want to get the most out of this class. My thinking is that if I can learn to control my weapon with a stock trigger, getting work AFTER the class would make me that much better. Or should I just get it done before so I can practice with what I'm gonna use? Not sure which way to go. Help me out...:confused:

Dillinger 06-26-2011 08:00 PM

What kind of pistol?

Personally I prefer to tune my trigger, if I am going to do so, as soon as I get the pistol and right after the first range day. That is when I make my decision on whether it stays stock or if I want to touch it up.

When I went to Thunder Ranch, I had my Sig and had already done the trigger job on it, so I was well versed. I don't think it gave me any edge or "special" skill in the course.

Later when I went to Valhalla I took my bone stock GRP that I had recently purchased and loved to shoot.

Both times it was more about the ability of the shooter to use the weapon in a safe, consistent manner and put rounds on target in different conditions.

If you are comfortable with it, can put rounds on target consistently, then I wouldn't make any changes to it before you go. Especially if you don't have a ton of time & money to practice before you go.

The most important things are going to be safety and consistency. And if your trigger is too light, or if you don't have a real good idea of when it's going to break after the recent trigger job, you don't want to be "that" guy with the first ND of the day. ;)

JD

danf_fl 06-27-2011 12:10 AM

I agree with JD on this. Don't make any changes before going into a match or course. You know what you have now and can shoot it safely. It is reliable now. Some trigger jobs may seem good out of the store, but after 100 rounds may get kinda "iffy".

JonM 06-27-2011 12:32 AM

i too agree with JD take it for a good long shoot first then you can decide. my springfield 1911A1 has some trigger work my colt series 70 and new agent dont. both the colt triggers feel identical to the springer trigger job. not sure the poundage i dont get too wrapped up in that. all i look for is a very crisp glass rod trigger break

Thadeuce 06-27-2011 02:24 PM

So basically, if I'm gonna get something done, get it as soon as I get the gun otherwise, leave it alone?

winds-of-change 06-27-2011 03:05 PM

Well, as a newbie just learning to shoot and find my way around a gun, I have been advised not to have a trigger job done on my revolver right now. The instructor I talked to recommended I work up to my gun's potential rather than bringing the gun down to where I'm at right now. He advised getting very proficient with my gun as it is then making it easier. But then again, I just shoot as a hobby, I don't hunt and I don't compete. But it made sense to me. Just my opinion.

Dillinger 06-27-2011 04:47 PM

actually I think you misread our answers. If you are getting ready to go to a training class, we do NOT recommend making significant changes prior to that time because right now you have a preset level of performance.

Adding a variable like a revised/retuned/lighter trigger could affect your overall ability to make the most of the training.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thadeuce (Post 530084)
So basically, if I'm gonna get something done, get it as soon as I get the gun otherwise, leave it alone?

Thadeuce 06-27-2011 08:28 PM

Gotcha. That way I get the most of what the class has to offer instead of learning what they teach AND the new trigger. Roger that.

danf_fl 06-27-2011 08:36 PM

Don't let new and untried things detract you from the mission of learning. :)

robocop10mm 06-27-2011 08:54 PM

You will likely find the trigger will improve during the course. There are two reasons for this. The trigger will actually mechanically break in and become "better" and your trigger finger will "learn" and become stronger.

You may find that after the course, you do nto feel the need to do anything to the gun other than clean and lube it.