Tried some Polymer guns today!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Tried some Polymer guns today!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Redarrow18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 144
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tried some Polymer guns today!

Being new to shooting pistols, I have only shot my moms Sig P266 for the past year or two, a 1911 once and some of my grandpas revolvers. I went to a gun shop with a range today and they let you try before you buy and that's what I got to do!

After shooting the Sig, the very first thing I wanted to try was a Glock 17. I know all about Glocks reputation and reliability and all that good stuff, but I've never shot one or even held one until today. My first impressions were good. It is lighter than the steel Sig and it felt really good in my hand. This Gen4 had more grip on it that the Sig which was kind of nice. The sights were excellent and the operations were smooth. What gets me on the Glock was the trigger and recoil. I suspect I'm used to the heavier Sig absorbing recoil more than the lighter Glock, but I'm sure if I bought one and shot it more, I wouldn't even notice it, and maybe the same for the trigger. It was noticeably heavier to pull than the Sig. Over all I really enjoyed the Glock 17 and I will definitely have to buy one when I can!

Next up was a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. This I thought felt the best in my hand vs the Sig P226 and the Glock 17 Gen4. The rest of the ergos felt good and were similar to the Glock. This also had a very different trigger for me. I don't really know if I liked it, maybe after more use I would like it but it didn't really impress me, but then again I'm used the extremely light Sig trigger. I don't know if it was the sights and gun or just me but I could not shoot accurately with this gun for the life of me. I was a little dissapointed because of how well it felt in my hand, but how those things just didn't work for me. Over all it was alright, but I'd take the Glock over the M&P.

Those were the only two I got to shoot, for now. It got kind of busy in there and I didn't want to keep interrupting the salesman. It was a really fun day though! Things to do on my list are the Springfield xDms, a H&K, FN, Ruger LC9, and maybe a Beretta, any others?

__________________

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"
Redarrow18 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,372
Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Your certainly on the right track, but dont just limit yourself to a polymer gun. Try out different platforms and calibers, whenever you find the right gun for you, you'll know it instantly. The 1911 is the gun that gives me the warm fuzzies :-)

__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wiseman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fresno,California
Posts: 1,206
Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

also don't rule out the M&P just yet. A trigger job and it becomes a whole new pistol. (from what I hear let you know once I get my parts and get them installed)

__________________

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Wiseman3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,372
Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3
also don't rule out the M&P just yet. A trigger job and it becomes a whole new pistol. (from what I hear let you know once I get my parts and get them installed)
Ive had glocks for 12 years, carried one on a sam brown for quite a few of them years. My friend just bought an M&P a few weeks ago and i went with him when he bought it. I would trade my glock any day of the week for an M&P
__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wiseman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fresno,California
Posts: 1,206
Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Ive had glocks for 12 years, carried one on a sam brown for quite a few of them years. My friend just bought an M&P a few weeks ago and i went with him when he bought it. I would trade my glock any day of the week for an M&P
I used to have a Glock 17 just never seemed to get the feel of it. The M&P was great out of the box. I do wish I still had the 17. Last gun I'll ever get rid of.
__________________

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Wiseman3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow18
Being new to shooting pistols, I have only shot my moms Sig P266 for the past year or two, a 1911 once and some of my grandpas revolvers. I went to a gun shop with a range today and they let you try before you buy and that's what I got to do!

After shooting the Sig, the very first thing I wanted to try was a Glock 17. I know all about Glocks reputation and reliability and all that good stuff, but I've never shot one or even held one until today. My first impressions were good. It is lighter than the steel Sig and it felt really good in my hand. This Gen4 had more grip on it that the Sig which was kind of nice. The sights were excellent and the operations were smooth. What gets me on the Glock was the trigger and recoil. I suspect I'm used to the heavier Sig absorbing recoil more than the lighter Glock, but I'm sure if I bought one and shot it more, I wouldn't even notice it, and maybe the same for the trigger. It was noticeably heavier to pull than the Sig. Over all I really enjoyed the Glock 17 and I will definitely have to buy one when I can!

Next up was a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. This I thought felt the best in my hand vs the Sig P226 and the Glock 17 Gen4. The rest of the ergos felt good and were similar to the Glock. This also had a very different trigger for me. I don't really know if I liked it, maybe after more use I would like it but it didn't really impress me, but then again I'm used the extremely light Sig trigger. I don't know if it was the sights and gun or just me but I could not shoot accurately with this gun for the life of me. I was a little dissapointed because of how well it felt in my hand, but how those things just didn't work for me. Over all it was alright, but I'd take the Glock over the M&P.

Those were the only two I got to shoot, for now. It got kind of busy in there and I didn't want to keep interrupting the salesman. It was a really fun day though! Things to do on my list are the Springfield xDms, a H&K, FN, Ruger LC9, and maybe a Beretta, any others?
You might try out a cz
__________________
john2005 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
marc29th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 667
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2005

You might try out a cz
I recommend looking at a CZ 75B or one of its variants as well. All steel and I've found that it fits my hand as close to perfectly as possible. They come in both 9mm and 40S&W there is also a 45ACP model the CZ 97B.
__________________
marc29th is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th

I recommend looking at a CZ 75B or one of its variants as well. All steel and I've found that it fits my hand as close to perfectly as possible. They come in both 9mm and 40S&W there is also a 45ACP model the CZ 97B.
Ya u just got the cz75 sp01 phantom and it fits my hand better than anything I have ever shot. They are very accurate and easy to clean
__________________
john2005 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 78
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2005

Ya u just got the cz75 sp01 phantom and it fits my hand better than anything I have ever shot. They are very accurate and easy to clean
On the last quote u should've been I
__________________
john2005 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ZombieBrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 445
Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Xdm's in mind is good, it was my choice over glock, have been very happy. And did some work on mine because, well its me haha. Vote one for the xdm very good grip and feeling but of course my hands are not yours. But it has been an excellent pistol i would buy again for sure.

__________________
ZombieBrawler is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
What polymer are AR15 polymer lowers made of? buildthedamnfence AR-15 Discussion 2 06-24-2012 07:58 AM
Curious if those against polymer guns still listen to their music on 8 Track decks? LikeABoss Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 2 04-22-2012 06:05 PM
What New Guns Today Will Be Valuable? northhike General Handgun Discussion 12 03-09-2012 01:26 AM
Shot a bunch of different guns today Vincine General Handgun Discussion 5 03-04-2012 12:11 PM
Shot some new guns today Ploofy Range Report 3 06-30-2011 02:26 PM