Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Traveler on a new clip is not smooth. What should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Traveler on a new clip is not smooth. What should I do?

Just bought a new (extended)17-round x 40.cal magazine for my Berretta PX4-Storm.

The plastic traveler that pushes the rounds up doesn't seem to be moving very smoothly. Sometimes when I pull out a round quickly, it will 'hesitate', I suspect it is just new and will break in, not defective.

Should I load/unload it several times, or take it apart and oil it? or something else?

NOTE:
The magazine is made by M.D.S. in Italy. This is supposed to be the EXACT SAME part from the same factory as the official Beretta OEM mags. The only visible difference is the name on the side, and the price-tag ($20 vs. $50).

__

Raven

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #2

It is called a Follower first off , second it is like anything else that is mass manufactured , it may be a tad oversized/undersized or have some rough edges or the magazine box itself may be slightly off and or have a rough spot somewhere inside .

You have a few simple choices either sit and keep depressing it and letting it up over and over , load and unload it or take it apart and use some very fine sandpapaer like 800 or 1000 grit and do a few minutes worth of sanding on the edges and the inside of the magazine box .

If it were me I wouldn't use oil as it may effect the plastic badly , dry graphite might be a good idea try rubbing the edge of a sharpened pencil around the edge of the follower

Last edited by BigO01; 05-22-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Before doing any plastic removal, it may simply need to be cleaned. Take it apart and clean it. I have a .45 caliber barrel swab that I use to clean my magazines after several uses.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take the mags apart for cleaning or not. I'll take it apart, clean it, and look for rough edges.

Thanks

__

Raven