Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Training/Plinking Pistol? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/training-plinking-pistol-85689/)

starving030 03-03-2013 07:25 PM

Training/Plinking Pistol?

I'm wanting to find a nice small semi-auto pistol for the wife to plink with. But at the same time I want to use it to teach my daughter(11yo) about semi-auto pistols, starting with one round in the mag at a time and such. It has to be fairly small but not a purse gun. I'd prefer a 22lr since that's something I already have rounds for and they are cheap and easy. Wife likes the Walther P22 and I do as well.

Any thoughts on how this one would fit the situation or some alternative recommendations?

Thanks

Jagermeister 03-03-2013 07:59 PM

You should get what you are most comfortable with. You will have a thousand different answers when you ask people their opinions on which gun to buy. All major companies have their version of a 22, or there are kits to transform a larger caliber gun into a 22. Do your research. Try various guns. Walther is fine, but runs better with hotter rounds. I like to recommend a 22 that has a decocker, safety and shoots DA and SA. That way the student can learn about all the functions their future guns may have. This also teaches about different carry options. The Walther does have all these features! I also love having this type of quality time with my kids.

starving030 03-03-2013 08:17 PM

I see your point about asking such a broad question. I guess what I really needed to know is if the P22 was ok or if there was something that had a feature that the p22 didn't that would be ideal for a trainer. I already know or believe that it is a good plinker, in my opinion at least:)

FrontierTCB 03-03-2013 09:56 PM

You will do fine with the Walther especially if that is what she likes. The Ruger SR22 is also a good choice and similar in size. Just another option.

starving030 03-03-2013 10:21 PM

Yeah. We did consider the SR22 but after handling it the grip seemed a little flat. It felt skinnier and longer. Like the shape of a 1x2 strip of wood. Kinda boxier than the P22. The P22 was rounder feeling like the grip was shorter and wider. The SR22 was heavier but I heard it was because of the all steal barrel vs the P22 having a 3 piece barrel. Not sure what that means tho. She vetoed the Ruger because it "felt funny", so we are still looking for the good fit.

There was a Walther P22 Camo at the shop yesterday for $379nib. We were seconds away from getting it but decided on getting the Ruger Charger instead because they are going to be hard to find later when we go to get one. It was on our list anyway and happened to be there staring us in the face, so. That one is for targeting in the back yard, but not so fun to rapid fire or shoot from the hip with.lol

kiabe1 03-03-2013 10:35 PM

Im personally not a big fan of the Walther p22 so id siggest something different. Have you seen the ruger 22/45 light i have one that i like alot and its an excellent starter semi auto as well

locutus 03-04-2013 12:45 AM

Walther, Ruger and SIG all make small .22 pistols that would work for you.

I would avoid the single action target pistols like the large Ruger and Browning for what you're trying to do.

The Walther PPK/S in .22 would be perfect, but DAMN they're expensive. $600 at Gander Mountain.

OTOH, it would be a lifetime investment, and it holds it's resale value extremely well.

www.gandermountain.com

RustyShackleford101 03-06-2013 02:12 AM

You can pick up a Jennings J22 for >100 dollars. They aren't the prettiest, or the most accurate, or the most ergonomic. But they are a nice small plinker.

RustyShackleford101 03-06-2013 02:13 AM

Oops I meant LESS than one hundred. My mistake,

chloeshooter 03-06-2013 11:51 AM

Ruger 22/45. Love this pistol. It's a target gun for sure.