Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Trade-in with gun shop questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trade-in with gun shop questions

Alright, I am currently saving up for my Kimber Pro Raptor II and I was actually considering getting rid of my Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Model F.

Do gun shops accept trade-ins when you purchase a new handgun? If so, how much are the prices marked down on average? Should I just try to sell it through gunbroker.com or similar instead?

I love my PX4, but I've shot a couple of Kimbers and the Beretta doesn't compare by a long shot so I wouldn't mind selling it to fund my Kimber.

Any help appreciated!

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Alright, I am currently saving up for my Kimber Pro Raptor II and I was actually considering getting rid of my Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Model F.

Do gun shops accept trade-ins when you purchase a new handgun? If so, how much are the prices marked down on average? Should I just try to sell it through gunbroker.com or similar instead?

I love my PX4, but I've shot a couple of Kimbers and the Beretta doesn't compare by a long shot so I wouldn't mind selling it to fund my Kimber.

Any help appreciated!
They do but you'll never get what you could on a private sale. Gun shops have to make money so they can't give you anywhere near a fair selling price...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hello, Help with your Gun shop trade info?

hello, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I understand your desire to trade your beretta for a kimber, but, as this is dealing with a business who is inthe market to make a profit, I migt make a sudguestion?

SELL THE BERETTA YOURSELF! Even if you buy the Kimber from that shop, they will mark the value of the Beretta against your Buy of a Gun! You will Lose bit time!!! The markdown of a gun traded is much simular to what you would get for a Car as a Trade in to the dealer, easy to get the car ya have gone, well easy to get screwed in the deal? Just my Opinion, but I have done this and paid the hard lessons! Be patient, List yours for sale and offer a good deal with accessoris and a Private buyer will buy it, Get a bill of sale and of couse comply with all the local and federal laws and be careful!

RON

Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #4

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

what ever you do ThorsHammer dont take it to hyatts gunshop and trade it!...they are worse then any pawnshop!...a bud of mine bought a glock 21 from them... then purchased a streamlight trl-2....well wife didnt like him having a gun in the house... and he sold it after about a month of having it...took the gun to hyatts and got 350bucks for it and i think he said he had 750 in the setup before he sold it...i asked him why didnt he sell it to me?he said you have enough guns...no such thing...well i told him im glad you took it to hyatts buddy...but yeah,pretty much any gunshop has to make a profit so...save for the kimber,or maybe you could find someone who would do a close trade w/ a lil boot...good luck man & let us know when ya git'er

Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sell it privately and then haggle for the Kimber.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
what ever you do ThorsHammer dont take it to hyatts gunshop and trade it!...they are worse then any pawnshop!...a bud of mine bought a glock 21 from them... then purchased a streamlight trl-2....well wife didnt like him having a gun in the house... and he sold it after about a month of having it...took the gun to hyatts and got 350bucks for it and i think he said he had 750 in the setup before he sold it...i asked him why didnt he sell it to me?he said you have enough guns...no such thing...well i told him im glad you took it to hyatts buddy...but yeah,pretty much any gunshop has to make a profit so...save for the kimber,or maybe you could find someone who would do a close trade w/ a lil boot...good luck man & let us know when ya git'er
Not a fan of Hyatt's. They're probably the biggest store around, but I don't like them one bit. I bought the PX4 from Carolina Sporting Arms, and they are a Kimber Master Dealer and have a fairly decent price on the Pro Raptor, $1,279. I think I'd rather use them again than go somewhere else.

I will put the gun up for sale on Gunbroker.com whenever I get a chance. What would be a good asking price for it? It's less than half a year old, has around 1,500 rounds through it and is in excellent condition.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ask the dealer where you will be buying your Raptor if they will sell it on consignment. Usually they and you will come up with a reasonable figure to sell the gun for and then turn that money into your new gun. Another benefit is you don't have to worry about collecting the money, shipping, and the gunshop has a steady flow of customers....

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #8

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i hear that....not sure what the px4's go for?...but if you took good care of it,cleaning,lubeing,good ammo,ect...i'd start the bid somewhere around 60% of org. purchase...just set your reserve to where you would sell it and not feel bad

Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i hear that....not sure what the px4's go for?...but if you took good care of it,cleaning,lubeing,good ammo,ect...i'd start the bid somewhere around 60% of org. purchase...just set your reserve to where you would sell it and not feel bad
Only good ammo and I have taken really good care of it. From what I can tell on Gunbroker.com they have "buy now" prices for around $500 or so. I am thinking if I set that to around $475 or so someone might be tempted to buy it. I bought it new with two mags and the loader, still have the box and all that, for $550 or so since the gun shop had a sale on it.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Sell it privately and then haggle for the Kimber.
There you go right there.