trade
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > trade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default trade

Looking to trade my Ruger SR9 for a glock what should i do to make sure i get the most for my trade?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #2

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

As much as i love rugers you will have to put up some cash with your sr9 to get a glock.
I would try and trade it locally.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

I know would have to put up some extra cash for it. How would i find out the value of my gun before i trade it

Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #4

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Look online. See what sr9's are going for.
Maybe take it to a gunshow. See what people are willing to pay.
Why do you want a GLOCK?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Assuming its in good shape you might get about $350 for it on a trade max. If you want more put it up for private sale or consignment.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #6

A lot of dealers are limiting there trades and u will get low balled on it best bet is as was stated before go to a show or private sale or Maby look for a used great condition glock .

Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

With a dealer your almost certainly better of not trading. Sell it and bring cash with you. It may take a little extra time doing it that way but the used gun market favors the seller at this point.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #8

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

In Utah we have a Craigslist-type online classified. KSL.com. Whenever I am selling a gun, and it's a newer model, I generally sell them within a weekend. People have told me that a used gun loses 20%-25% as soon as it's sold, but the prices here don't usually reflect that if they are in good shape. $350 sounds like a good deal for that, but you may end up selling for closer to $325. Either way, Good luck with that. I would trade a Glock for an SR9 straigt across, but that;s only because I detest Glock so thoroughly...

Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11541

I recently tried getting ballpark prices from dealers on some long guns a friend of mine wanted help selling. I went to several gun stores and got a wide range of pricing. If you go to a show or LGS, get as many valuations as you can manage, then compare that with maybe the Blue Book value. I was quite frankly disappointed in what some of the stores offered as an estimate. One place (The Gun Vault in Mountain View) I called ahead and explained that I had 4 long guns that I wanted to find out a ballpark as to what they would be worth if I were to sell them myself, and they said to bring them in. I drove up there, explained why I was there, again saying that I was going to sell them myself, waited 10 minutes or so for the store owner and again explained that I wanted to sell them myself. He took them out one by one, took his time in looking them over, and then said "I'll give you $1000 for all four."

I said that I did not want to sell them to him, I wanted to sell them myself, etc.. He said he wouldn't give me those values, he would only make an offer on them.

Long story short, I sold one of them (a Browning BAR) for $1000 by itself, the others were shotguns, one I kept as payment (Mossberg 930) and the other two sold for another $1200.

Nice.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Nice story Vikingdad! I'm glad you got that sorted out. I can't believe they tried to do you like that... Well, I guess I can, but I don't like it. Guns are like cars. Selling to a dealer is something you do ONLY if you have to make the sale at once.

Also, I just did a used gun check in my area (Northern Utah) and prices are right around the $340 used range. Not bad since they can be had used for $400. I just got my SR40c brand new for $390 out the door, but my dealer is pure awesomeness. Love you, Mr. Smith! Lol