Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   trade (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/trade-73138/)

hegotahemi20 09-25-2012 11:00 AM

trade

Looking to trade my Ruger SR9 for a glock what should i do to make sure i get the most for my trade?

ineverFTF 09-25-2012 11:01 AM

As much as i love rugers you will have to put up some cash with your sr9 to get a glock.
I would try and trade it locally.

hegotahemi20 09-25-2012 11:03 AM

I know would have to put up some extra cash for it. How would i find out the value of my gun before i trade it

ineverFTF 09-25-2012 11:04 AM

Look online. See what sr9's are going for.
Maybe take it to a gunshow. See what people are willing to pay.
Why do you want a GLOCK?

mountainman13 09-25-2012 11:07 AM

Assuming its in good shape you might get about $350 for it on a trade max. If you want more put it up for private sale or consignment.

workman5487 09-25-2012 11:16 AM

A lot of dealers are limiting there trades and u will get low balled on it best bet is as was stated before go to a show or private sale or Maby look for a used great condition glock .

Unimproved 09-25-2012 02:15 PM

With a dealer your almost certainly better of not trading. Sell it and bring cash with you. It may take a little extra time doing it that way but the used gun market favors the seller at this point.

B5Dan 09-27-2012 02:39 AM

In Utah we have a Craigslist-type online classified. KSL.com. Whenever I am selling a gun, and it's a newer model, I generally sell them within a weekend. People have told me that a used gun loses 20%-25% as soon as it's sold, but the prices here don't usually reflect that if they are in good shape. $350 sounds like a good deal for that, but you may end up selling for closer to $325. Either way, Good luck with that. I would trade a Glock for an SR9 straigt across, but that;s only because I detest Glock so thoroughly...

Vikingdad 09-27-2012 02:58 AM

I recently tried getting ballpark prices from dealers on some long guns a friend of mine wanted help selling. I went to several gun stores and got a wide range of pricing. If you go to a show or LGS, get as many valuations as you can manage, then compare that with maybe the Blue Book value. I was quite frankly disappointed in what some of the stores offered as an estimate. One place (The Gun Vault in Mountain View) I called ahead and explained that I had 4 long guns that I wanted to find out a ballpark as to what they would be worth if I were to sell them myself, and they said to bring them in. I drove up there, explained why I was there, again saying that I was going to sell them myself, waited 10 minutes or so for the store owner and again explained that I wanted to sell them myself. He took them out one by one, took his time in looking them over, and then said "I'll give you $1000 for all four."

I said that I did not want to sell them to him, I wanted to sell them myself, etc.. He said he wouldn't give me those values, he would only make an offer on them.

Long story short, I sold one of them (a Browning BAR) for $1000 by itself, the others were shotguns, one I kept as payment (Mossberg 930) and the other two sold for another $1200.

Nice.

B5Dan 09-27-2012 03:18 AM

Nice story Vikingdad! I'm glad you got that sorted out. I can't believe they tried to do you like that... Well, I guess I can, but I don't like it. Guns are like cars. Selling to a dealer is something you do ONLY if you have to make the sale at once.

Also, I just did a used gun check in my area (Northern Utah) and prices are right around the $340 used range. Not bad since they can be had used for $400. I just got my SR40c brand new for $390 out the door, but my dealer is pure awesomeness. Love you, Mr. Smith! Lol