Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Top polymer pistols.. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/top-polymer-pistols-98430/)

icallshotgun88 10-10-2013 04:21 AM

Okay, so I'm constantly adding to my "buy list" and I realize I want a new polymer pistol...

I was watching "Shooting USA" on Outdoors Tv and saw a few advertisements for M&P pistols and thought to myself "I'd sure like a new polymer pistol, but all I've had is glock and I'd like something different".

Now I love me some glock and love me some 1911 (realize they aren't polymer) but I'm looking for something different.

So I'm curious as to your favorite polymer pistol and why it's your favorite.

I'm hoping to find something to add to my "buy list" I don't just want the name of a manufacturer but a specific model that you like.

Criteria; I don't want another glock
I want it to be polymer
Need it to be extremely reliable
Common caliber (9mm, .357, .40, 10mm, .44, .45, etc.)
That's it
No real price limit but nothing ridiculous unless you can knock my socks off.. GO!

Axxe55 10-10-2013 04:26 AM

need to go to a store and try some out. find something that suits your hand well.

i can shoot Glocks quite well and am fairly accurate in shooting them, but much prefer the SA XD or XDm pistols as they fit my hand better.

as a general rule, a pistol that fits your hand well is usually the one most people shoot more accurately as they can control the pistol better.

icallshotgun88 10-10-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55
need to go to a store and try some out. find something that suits your hand well. i can shoot Glocks quite well and am fairly accurate in shooting them, but much prefer the SA XD or XDm pistols as they fit my hand better. as a general rule, a pistol that fits your hand well is usually the one most people shoot more accurately as they can control the pistol better.

I have no problem adjusting to a handgun...
If it doesn't "feel right" at first ill spend some time on the range until I bond with it.,

I don't want the "feel" of it the first day to determine if I buy it or not.,,

Heck, I was young, but I didn't like the way 1911s felt at first, now I'm in love

Axxe55 10-10-2013 04:37 AM

S&W M&P series. lots of choices there and decently priced.

SA XD or XDM series. lots of choices also and also decently priced.

Walther P99 series. well made and not badly priced.

these are my top choices for polymer pistols. different sizes and calibers.

JW357 10-10-2013 04:42 AM

+ as high as I can count on the M&P series.

I myself own a 9c, and my wife owns a full sized 9. I love them both. They are natural pointers, in our hands. Wonderful guns. I can pick them up and it feels like an extension of my wrist, for lack of better descriptors.

They are an exceptionally proven platform, and very reliable.

S&W gives tremendous customer service, I've heard, IF you need it.

They come in most major calibers: 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP.

Fully ambidextrous.

You can get them with or without a thumb safety as well as a magazine disconnect.

I could go on. I think you see my point.

John_Deer 10-10-2013 05:29 AM

I like the Ruger P95 and the XD pistols. I have only shot full size xd pistols. I have no opinion on the compact XD pistols. I like the Ruger P95 best of the two. A gunsmith did a little work to my P95 ($80 parts and labor). In single action my P95 shoots as well as most SA only pistols. The P95 does have a large stock. If you are going to share the pistol with a female friend I wouldn't get the P95.

magnumman 10-10-2013 11:40 AM

I have the m&p 45c. It is by far my favorite poly pistol I have ever owned. The m&p line offers full size and compact guns in all the usual calibers. With the interchangeable palm swells, they fit MOST peoples hand. You can choose if you want a thumb safety or not. They are fully ambidextrous. The only negative is the price and availability of magazines.

AR10 10-10-2013 01:06 PM

Don't want another Glock? Cut it out!

You like Glocks? Yet no more?

I own four frames, six slides, eleven barrels and looking to expand.

I can shoot 22, 9, 10, 357, and 45. Want a 50 and maybe a few others.

I think, you should rethink, your Glock ban.

I did a twenty year stretch with one Glock, thinking that was enough. Getting a second Glock opened my eyes to another realm.

I have one range bag for all my Glock stuff. Fun collecting and shooting the various calibers and frame sizes.

jjones45 10-10-2013 01:17 PM

Hk usp/p30/hk45, m&p, fnx, ruger sr, sig p250/2022, Walther ppq/p99, magnum research mr9/40, baby eagle, xdm, kahr. So many good poly pistols these days

wittmeba 10-10-2013 01:24 PM

I have an M&P 40 and love it. Just fits well in my big hands. I changed the grip/backstrap and the medium was still best.

I think their popularity is growing fast. There are good reviews - always a few who dont like them - but other too are rethinking the S&W vs. Glock.