Top 5 9mms - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Top 5 9mms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Browning High Power

Beretta 92fs

Springfield XD

Springfield XDm 5.25

Baby Eagle

I have all of these and just as if they were my own children, I don't think I could put numbers to them. But if I had children (and trust me, my wife and I are working on it), I'm sure that I would have a "daily favorite". Of course that would all depend on my mood... meaning which was the last one to test my patience by nairing the cat, testing their new fishing pole in the fish tank, or some other great feat mirroring my childhood.

But seriously, I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through each myself and in using them to teach friends and family and have never had a problem with any. (although I've probably only just past 1,000 rounds in the XDm 5.25 being that's the newest addition) They are the same ones that I would and have suggested to anyone from a beginner to a seasoned shooter looking for a new toy.

Now since everyone is pretty much of the same mind on at least the top three... Someone needs to start a "worst 5 9mm" list.....

-Ray

*Still trying to think up some catchy signature....
Peensils Misspel Wards,
Cars Cause DUIs,
Spoons Made Rosie O'Donnel Fat.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #62

Default 9mm

single action: Browning High Power
double action (bigger): Sig 226
double action (smaller): HK USP Compact

Old 10-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #63

Liked 208 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If I had to think of the evolution of iconic 9's it would be
1.Luger
2.Browning Hi-Power
3.Walther P-38
4.Beretta 92
5.Glock 17
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #64

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very first pistol I ever held, at the ripe old age of 9 or 10, was a Browning Hi-Power so I've always had a soft spot for them.

P-38 was my favourite for many years - it just looks and feels great and was a real ground-breaker in its day.

The P-38 was bumped from my "top spot" by the P99 - it fits my hand so well and points so naturally that I frequently joke that Walther's engineers must have sneaked into my house while I was sleeping and taken detailed measurements of my hands.

CZ-75 is one I've recently "discovered". A great feel and point and it was made by the same crowd that made my favourite .22 rifle.

Other than those, there are many I like the look and/or reputation of - some of which I know don't point well for me or fit my hand comfortably - that I'd classify as "great 9mms".

For my 5th choice, I'd go with a Taurus PT99 or PT92 - I got a chance to borrow a friend's one and I found it to be a very nice pistol to hold, point and shoot. Taurus took a great firearm and improved upon it.

I like the SIG P226 a lot but I don't find it as comfortable to hold as the others.

As to my order of preference:

P99
P-38 and CZ-75 (second equal)
Hi-Power
PT99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmanK View Post
Now since everyone is pretty much of the same mind on at least the top three... Someone needs to start a "worst 5 9mm" list.....
It's indeed interesting to see how many times the CZ-75, P-38, SIG P226 and Browning Hi-Power have turned up in these lists.

A "Worst 5" list would no doubt be very subjective and dependent on personal ergonomics.

The Glock 17 is a fine firearm, but it'd be on my "worst 5" list as it's not a natural point for me. Likewise the venerable Luger P.08 would have to go there, too - for the very same reason.

Nothing "wrong" with either of them, but they don't suit me - and that's a complaint I've heard about the Glock from others who find the 1911 a comfortable and natural point.

Last edited by Wolf1066; 10-25-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #65

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

deleted in favour of editing above post.

Last edited by Wolf1066; 10-25-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #66

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I dnt like the stubby barrels personaly. The xdm9 or 40 is great in a 3.8 inch. Still accurate at 60 ft.
My Taurus with the 2.75" barrel is accurate farther than 20 yards. It's not eyeball accurate but it's center mass accurate. My XDm .40 with the 3.8" barrel isn't accurate much farther than that. And at 10 yards - 15 yards the Taurus is more accurate. I like my XDm really well but at short ranges it won't match the accuracy of my Taurus. I should point out that my friends 9mm XDm is more accurate than my .40 XDm and is very close to being the same accuracy as my Taurus at closer ranges. You have to understand that I can hit empty shell casings with my Taurus at 15-20 yards. That's pretty freaking accurate (the gun - not me). My XDm will shoot about a 1"-2" group at that distance if I really bear down. My friends 9mm XDm will shoot better than my .40 but it has the 4.5" barrel. At 20 yards it will do 1" groups but the Taurus will shoot about a half inch group at that distance.

It's all in the way it fits my hand I guess. I find the XDm wants to move arond at the top some because of the grip angle and the long trigger pull. It certainly isn't bad by any means. It's just that my Taurus is better for me. It may not even be true for anyone else. But I have both and have shot both quite a bit and the Taurus wins for me. I just get a more positive grip on the Taurus so that it doesn't roll around as I pull the trigger. But I won't be parting with any of my handguns anytime soon unless my daughter decides she wants the XDm over my 20 ga. she has currently for HD. My son has the Sig P220, which BTW will shoot better than any of my other pistols.

My XDm is plenty accurate enough. I think the trigger pull is too long for one thing which makes it less accurate. Like I said though, it will be mine for quite a while to come. That Taurus is an exceptional shooter which sometimes you get and sometimes you don't.

Last edited by Jeff56; 10-25-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #67

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's my choices:
1) Sig 226 X5
2) Browning High Power
3) Colt 1911 in 9mm
4) Mauser Broomhandle Red 9 with holster/shoulder stock
(I use to have one of these. Cool off the scale!)
5) Some other Sig

Newest Threads