In no real particular order, my five favorite 9s
1) Glock 17/19-I have carried one or the other of these for years. I've beat the snot out of them, abused them, exposed them to the elements and every kind of cheap ammo I could find, and they always go bang. Are they sexy? No. Are the reliable? Yes.
2) CZ 75 (or any of its variants; B, D, whatever) This gun is a real pleasure to shoot. Very accurate out of the box, and very comfortable. Almost anyone that has held mine has remarked about how good it feels
3) Sig 229 I think the 229 is a good combination of some of the positive traits of the Glock and CZ, reliable and comfortable, but the Sig has an added bonus: it's sexy as hell.
4) Beretta 92 FS-For all of the aforementioned reasons.
5) Browning Hi-Power- do I really need to explain?
The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!
Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".