Tomcat not so hot!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Tomcat not so hot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tomcat not so hot!

Hi, I'm new today. I have lots to learn so I'm listening. I have a Ruger Mark III that I love. I bought a Beretta Tomcat @ the last gunshow and I hate it. It misfires about every other cartridge; whether it's me or hubby shooting. I want a Kimber Ultra Carry II 9mm for a carry gun. What is the opinion of this gun? Cheryl

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome here. The Kimber is an excellent pistol. If it's in your budget, I'd suggest that you also consider the Springfield 9mm EMP.

I'm not a big Beretta fan, so I can't/won't say anything about your Tomcat.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Personally? I feel that the 32 ACP is a bit on the light side for self defense, and too pricy for just plinking. The Tomcat has a design issue that I dislike- no extractor. It relies on pressure from firing to eject the fired case. IF you have a misfire in a defense scenario, you can't just rack the slide to eject and chamber a fresh round.

Kimbers? If you can afford the $$$, very good guns.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #4

Default It's MY gun!

Hubby's trying to talk me out of the Kimber Ultra; for now I'm target practicing with his Star 9mm. OK, it's very nice. The Kimber may be a little easier on my osteoarthritis. I like the substancial weight of the Star, but I saw a Kimber at an NRA banquet here and I loved it. I'm still hoping to win one

Old 05-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3455 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 19280

A big welcome to ya ! I'm a Glock guy so what can I say other than a 9mm. will do the job. Good shooting and stay safe !

Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I've toyed with the Tomcat before and read reviews. Never had jam issues. Have you tried thoroughly cleaning it and firing different ammo?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The Tomcat uses a funky ejection system. Make sure that the parts are well oiled and clean. If you've already tried that, use different ammo. What are you using for ammo now? Hold old is the piece?

I'm Kimber's best advertisement. I've had a Compact II for about 6 or 8 years now. It's the best pistol that I've ever fired, dollar for dollar. There are nicer 1911s available, but they come at 2 to 3 times the price of a Kimber.

Mine has about 12k rounds on it with ne'er a misfire, failure to feed or failure to extract. They are 1911s though, so you will, if you don't already use it, need to learn proper hold, as stove piping as rearward ejection can be an issue with a weak hold. If you don't know the proper hold for a 1911, Google "Massad Ayoob+1911". There are a few articles available online that detail his hold for a 1911. Early on in my love affair with 1911s, I was told to look up his hold and use it. It, and proper marksmanship techniques, allow me to deliver accurate shots out to 50 yards with my Compact II.

My Compact II:

My 50 yard steel:

Welcome to the forum. Let me know if there's anything that I can help you with.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #8

I love Beretta pistols as a whole, but with that said, I had trouble with the Tomcat from the very beginning. I bought one about three years ago, the first time I took it to the range, something in the trigger mechnism broke (don't know what it was) so the pistol was sent back to Beretta. When I got it back, I fired a few rounds through it, just to make sure it goes bang, and stuck it in the safe where it resides today. I have never had any problems with any other Beretta that I have ever owned.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For years I have carried a Tomcat in my back pocket when there was no way to carry anything larger. I admit I don't shoot it as much as I should, 200 rounds or so a year, but I can't ever recall a misfire, ejection, or feeding issue. I use Mag Tech ammo and have found the gun to be reasonably accurate. If your Tomcat is not performing well, I would return it to Beretta for attention, it has too much potential to become a gun safe queen.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While it IS possible to repair your Tomkat to 100% reliability, I suspect your view of it is now skewed or that it's "tainted" because of it's problems. In other words, you'll never trust it to carry again. That's why it's going to be a good idea to get a new gun. I suggest bumping up to a .40S&W or even a .45acp as you can get them in the same size package as the 9mm you're thinking about.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!