Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Tokarev piercing primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tokarev piercing primers

I'm having a problem with my Tokarev clone, Norinco T-54, piercing primers. I thought there might be several reason for it, so I've tried to narrow it down. I've checked head-space, and that comes up good.The firing pin looks to be intact, with no burrs on it. I'm beginning to suspect the pin might be too pointed, or the hammer is driving it a bit to aggressively. One thing that strikes me as odd is it looks as if the pin is still in contact with the primer when the barrel unlocks and shifts downward during slide and barrel recoil.

It might just be that the primers are just a little too soft for this particular gun. I'd appreciate any input on what might be needed to correct this problem.

I've attached some photos of brass that has been through it, as well as a piece of brass from my .vz52.

First photo: Left to right, .vz52, Tokarev strike on empty brass, Tokarev live fired brass, Tokarev live fired brass with what looks like plating scraped loose

Second photo: Closeup of first photo

Third photo: Closeup of one more bit of brass that has a pierced or ruptured primer

tt33-1.jpg   tt33-3.jpg   tt33-4.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Could be weak or malfunctioning firingpin spring. Not too familiar with that gun, although I want one bad. Seems like a logical thought anyway. I'd look at replacing the pin and spring.

Looks to me like it's striking twice, or somehow the shells are being kicked back into it when ejecting.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I woud go with "bad FP spring" first. Possible the bad spring has allowed the FP to remain in contact with the case during extraction. This contact may have damaged the FP. Clean the FP channel, inspect for damage or burrs. Replace both FP and spring if the condition continues

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanx guys. I'll take out the pin and spring this evening and check it out. Bought the gun for $65.00 at an estate sale, and love the way it shoots. Once its functioning reliably, then I'll refinish it.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #5

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFarmer View Post
Thanx guys. I'll take out the pin and spring this evening and check it out. Bought the gun for $65.00 at an estate sale, and love the way it shoots. Once its functioning reliably, then I'll refinish it.
I think they're a great gun.