Tips for handling Recoil

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Tips for handling Recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tips for handling Recoil

When using semi-automatic handguns, what are some tips for handling recoil?

I have tried using two hands, tried bracing my lower rist on top of my left arm, etc...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #2

The two best tips I ever got:

1. Follow through.
2. Use handloads loaded light if you are flinching and work your way back up.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #3

One addition I have used in a couple of my pistols is made by EFKFireDragon.com, a dual spring recoil reduction unit that replaces the entire recoil spring with a shock absorber-like affair. The spring takes up the initial recoil until the shock absorber is encountered, then the slide is slowed at the end of the slide travel. Installation is a breeze, and just drops in. The unit reduces the battering on the frame/slide stop and makes follow-up shots that much quicker (if needed). Reminds me of what one of my uncles used to say "You can't get away from recoil, but you can manage it".

A good solid hand grip, let your elbows take some of the action, and like FALPhil said above.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:41 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Makarov.com recommends a heavier spring to reduce recoil, it might be the same for any of the "lesser" semi-autos....

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Makarov.com recommends a heavier spring to reduce recoil, it might be the same for any of the "lesser" semi-autos....
That's exactly the wrong advice. You want a lighter spring. The amount of reward momentem is going to be the same either way but the slide slams shut harder with a heavier spring and the harder it shuts, the more the muzzle will dip. The caveat to a lighter spring is it may be a bad idea for a self defence gun and if you go too light, it will beat up your frame.

The only thing that is going to make the recoil less apparent is shooting less powerful ammo, using heavier bullets which doesn't change the overall recoil it just spreads it out over a longer time (millisecond or two), or add weight to the gun.

Having said all that, have a skilled instructor make sure sure stance and grip is correct and shoot 10,000 rounds. After that, you won't even notice recoil!