Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Thoughts on S&W Sigma.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Thoughts on S&W Sigma.....

Hello everyone, I was at my local gun store yesterday checking to see if my Kimber Solo had come in yet(no by the way) when I just started looking around and saw that the S&W Sigma's were on sale for $299 new in case so I figured what the hell. Did I get a good deal or is this a crap gun? I have not fired it yet but will try tomorrow. Opinions anyone? Thanks for your help everyone, Ed

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Sigma's are good, reliable guns. I used to have one.

The only gripe you ever really hear about them is the trigger pull is hard, but it never bothered me.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm sure Shihan will be along soon. He owns "The World's Greatest Sigma". He'll tell you all about Sigma's.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I have one (.40 S&W) in the safe that the niece loves to shoot.
She loves the thing. Her weight is about 95lbs (23 years old) and has no problem with the trigger pull.
I let her try others, but she keeps going back to the Sigma.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 06-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have not owned or shot one. That being said, they seem to be decent pistols. They are inexpensive and as far as I know, dependable. The rap about the trigger is just one of those things.

If I needed an inexpensive pistol and the Sigma was what I could afford, I would be perfectly fine with it.

Don't let gun snobs put you off. As long as the pistol is reliable, all the rest is up to the shooter.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

As the owner of "The World's Greatest Sigma"™, my reply would be a little biased.

There is nothing wrong with a Sigma, just as good as a Glock with a better grip. At half the cost

If you have experience with a Double Action revolver then the trigger won't be an issue. That is the usual complaint.

Take it to the range fire a couple Mags, to get a feel for the trigger, then do some shooting once you have a good idea about the pull.

Give us a range report. I think you will be happy with it.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #7

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I had a Sigma in .40 and I hated that gun. It would easily win the title of "Shortest Owned Pistol", except I did buy a gun from a guy standing in line at a gun show and sold it to another guy after I got inside the show, so technically it's the "2nd Shortest Owned Pistol".

I didn't have any qualms with reliability. It feed and functioned perfectly. But that damn trigger was horrible. I've shot a lot of DA revolvers as well and that was absolutely nothing for preparation. With a DA revolver, I can feel everything that is happening through the trigger. With the Sigma, all I could feel was a washboard. It's literally like there were washboard bumps completely through the trigger pull. I wasn't going to waste $200 worth of ammo in an attempt to break-in a $250 gun.

I would recommend to consider it if you're on a very tight budget. But if you've got a little wiggle room or you're not in desperate need of a gun, I would say save your pennies for a little longer and hold out for something else. From what I see on other forums, Sigmas are either love 'em or hate 'em and I'm in the latter category.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #8

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

Buy two High Points for the same price as one Sigma. Then you will have two door stops.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I have had an early Sigma 40C for about 15 years. VERY accurate, dependable and "fits" my hand. The trigger is acceptable. I have a later Sigma 9V. The trigger is a little less acceptable but still tolerable.

WTS, I recently handled a newer Sigma 40VE and found the trigger to be absolutely atrocious. About 12 lbs. THAT is where the Sigma reputation comes from. There are some tricks to slick them up a bit, but I have not tried my magic on a VE model, yet.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 146

The sigma's are so much like Glocks S&W had to pay royalty's to Glock for patent infringements.

Someone needs to make a trigger kit for Sigma's like they do for Glocks.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Last edited by armsmaster270; 06-05-2011 at 09:17 PM.