Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Thoughts on Ruger Mk III ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I love my Mark III but I must say that I would love to shoot that GSG 1911 as well.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6763 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I bought a used Mk III and love it. Supposed to be a PITA to field strip and clean. I'm almost afraid to try, doing basic cleaning for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsong View Post
Field strip can be a bear -- there are a number of good videos on YouTube; you'll end out looking at them a lot!
Well, I have a Mark II and I can field strip it for cleaning with no problem. What do you guys think makes it such a pain?
What ever you do, just don't mess with the internals. LOL

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-05-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #13

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you like the standark MK3 you should also like the MK3 22/45,only difference in the 22/45 is that the gip angle is just like a 1911 not like a Luger that the regular MK3 has.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #14

Likes Given: 1

I had a 22/45 stainless bull sold it two years ago the worst thing I ever did. Now that im back on my feet i have one more gun to buy then I will be getting another 22/45 or MKII MKIII

Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #15

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahole
I had a 22/45 stainless bull sold it two years ago the worst thing I ever did. Now that im back on my feet i have one more gun to buy then I will be getting another 22/45 or MKII MKIII
Wat an ahole!! Hahaha, I like the name... I think they r the best .22 pistols made

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #16

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Well, I have a Mark II and I can field strip it for cleaning with no problem. What do you guys think makes it such a pain?
What ever you do, just don't mess with the internals. LOL
I agree, it's not bad once you do it a few times. And it's great that females often get it when males can't! But the Mark III is more of a pain than the Mark II because you have to shove in the magazine here and there because of its magazine safety - and the manual didn't tell you this little secret, at least mine didn't. If I hadn't known how to do the Mark I and Mark II, it would have presented a real problem. I think recently Ruger updated the Mark III manual or at least added an errata sheet.

The YouTube videos can be a big help to anyone new to the Ruger.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #17

This was all very helpful. Thanks for the alternatives.

The 1911 training comments are good; though my 'more serious' gun is a S&W M&P rather than a 1911. For that reason I added a M&P 22 (a gun they recently added precisely for training) to the list of possibles.

The Ruger cleaning concerns are quite valid. It seems complicated to get apart and worse to get together. Youtube is a good resource here. Ruger has interesting videos up on the subject; though the reassembly video is funny due to its complication. The best moment in the reassembly video: "Be certain that the firing pin stop is in the bolt. Without this pin, the first time the trigger is pulled, .... the firing pin will fly forward so far as to irreparably dent the rear of the chamber of the barrel, making the pistol useless." To Ruger's credit; the videos seem to cover a number of common problems as well as how to handle them.

Disassembly:

Reassembly:

The decision's not made. I was not thinking of the ruger as a training pistol so much as a fun toy. It looks different. It cocks different. It seems pretty accurate.

Thanks for the hand, and by all means post any other thoughts. They are welcome even after I make a decision and buy something. After all, I can't imagine that I'd only purchase one more gun.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #18
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6763 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

I don't know about the Mark III, but the Mark II isn't all that hard to field strip for cleaning. Even I can do it. Now, the internals are another story. Even though I did get my gun put back together. It took me a while, but I did it. I have not problem field stripping my Mark II.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #19

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Well we don't want to scare anyone away from the Mark III. Very nice pistol and built like a tank. Very accurate. It is a little tricky to reassemble but not terrible. When buying one get your dealer to show you how to break it down and assemble and you'll be all right. Great guns, that's why I have three! And why one goes out to the range just about every time I go.

Nothing wrong with buying a used Mark II if you find one.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #20

It's clear that the reassembly video was put together with knowledge of every idiotic customer service call or product return that they've seen. Someone out there put the cylinder back in without the firing pin stop and promptly destroyed their gun.

On the flip side: I can be kind of idiotic, so instructions that tell me what to guard against are really nice. All things considered, those two youtube videos mitigate my concerns about field stripping and cleaning.