Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Thoughts on M9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thoughts on M9

I've heard a lot about the M9 lately and how people are upset about it not having enough stopping power. I've also heard a lot about it being to heavy and not a good weapon for our military. What are your thoughts on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5119 Times on 2665 Posts
Likes Given: 310

my beef with it is they are not well built. they dont last very long. the barrel is locked up at the rear and as they get more rounds down range the locking surfaces really wear out. least thats the issues we had with the ones issued in the 90's. i never found them particularly accurate.

i dont care for the size of the grip, sights, trigger, safety, to me its just too big for the round it shoots.

in the army we did a torture test with the 1911 vs m9 side by side before we turned the last 1911s in. loaded up all the mags in our inventory about 150 each. then ran the guns till they stopped. 1911 went all 150 no stoppages no slowdowns from heat, this was a gun made in the 1940's. ran the m9 it stopped around mag 20. started really slowing down due to heat around mag 13 or 14.

we ended up having to send 4 out of 10 m9 back to the depot for locking lug cracks and frame cracks inside a year. i think those issues were later fixed.

the good 92fs were made in brazil by taurus from 1999 back are better than the berratas from italy or the US. im not a taurus fan but i would prolly opt for the taurus version over the berreta if i HAD to get one.

i just dont like them.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I really like the 92 series guns for their unique looks, good weight (I do tend to like larger, heavier handguns, though), good reliability, and super-easy take-down. However, compared to modern polymer guns they have fatter grips which a lot of people don't like. I like the feel of poly guns better, generally.

The M9 isn't the problem for out military, though. Most all the guns they have looked at were around the same size and weight. The effectiveness issue is simply because they are limited to ball ammo.

BTW, you could probably just scan through the first few pages of this forum and find 500 answers to your questions :P .

*edit*

Or, just listen to Jon .

I really liked my Taurus PT92, but I'm not partial enough to the 92 to argue one way or another :P . Though I would guarantee his experience is a relatively worst-case one, and most people do have great luck with them. I will, however, admit that the locking design of the 92 is relatively weak compared to a Browning-type action.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 10-04-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5119 Times on 2665 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I really like the 92 series guns for their unique looks, good weight (I do tend to like larger, heavier handguns, though), good reliability, and super-easy take-down. However, compared to modern polymer guns they have fatter grips which a lot of people don't like. I like the feel of poly guns better, generally.

The M9 isn't the problem for out military, though. Most all the guns they have looked at were around the same size and weight. The effectiveness issue is simply because they are limited to ball ammo.

BTW, you could probably just scan through the first few pages of this forum and find 500 answers to your questions :P .

*edit*

Or, just listen to Jon .

I really liked my Taurus PT92, but I'm not partial enough to the 92 to argue one way or another :P . Though I would guarantee his experience is a relatively worst-case one, and most people do have great luck with them. I will, however, admit that the locking design of the 92 is relatively weak compared to a Browning-type action.
We put the m9 through more rounds than your average military unit. The tests we did were not officially sanctioned by any stretch. The m9 will last the average shooter a lifetime of service before you start seeing severe wear issues.

Most folks wont put 1000 rounds through a gun much less 10,000 in a year...

My first post is the far extreme example. I run a lot of pistol ammo through my personal guns so i gravitate to more durable designs.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I liked the M9 as a service weapon. I trusted it. However, it gets a poor reputation because of the ammo we use. And ammunition in a 9mm needs to be taken into account. IMO a 9mm is made or broke on what ammo you put through it.

That said, correctly fed she will do the job... I promise... I have seen the real life damage it inflicts ( even crappy ball) and it's plenty capable.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

We put the m9 through more rounds than your average military unit. The tests we did were not officially sanctioned by any stretch. The m9 will last the average shooter a lifetime of service before you start seeing severe wear issues.

Most folks wont put 1000 rounds through a gun much less 10,000 in a year...

My first post is the far extreme example. I run a lot of pistol ammo through my personal guns so i gravitate to more durable designs.
+alot

The military beats the hell out of them. They see more service and are passed through more hands than ANY civilian could compare. Don't let that be a nay say, take it as a testament to the arm.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #7

I'm sure it's a fine weapon, but I stay away from them for two reasons.

Number one is that the grip is just so darn big. I don't have small hands by any stretch, but I still find the grip much to large. I'd liken it to hold a 2x4.

The second reason is the slide mounted safety. I just don't like them. They get beat it, it's not near where my thumb rests naturally, and there is a chance, be it probably a small one, that it can be engaged when clearing a malfunction.

I'd like to try a Px4, but won't because of the slide mounted safety. I'm just don't see why beretta uses them.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default M9 & others

My M9 look alike is a copied by Taurus 99 which holds 17 rounds of 9mm in the magazine and one in the barrel, jacketed hollow points by the way. And that ia what I consider stopping power.

But my carry pistol is a Springfield Ultra ,45ACP also with jacketed hollowpoints which should stop anything on two legs in North America.

But to retrogress and think "what if", I have always loved the German P-38 or P1 as it is now called in post war models. And thought if that great pistol had been redesigned to fire the .45ACP, it would be an accurate, safe, and pleasing to most shooter's hands, a great pistol !

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I Luv mine! It feels great in my hand, shoots anything I feed it, is combat accurate (by this I mean it is not a nail driver like my Kimber 1911, but is way more than accurate enough for battlefield conditios) and by design, it is very forgiving of dirty environments. I think the 9mm round has been proven in multiple conflicts to be effective for it's intended range and with the civilian options for ammo, the 9mm has grown to be a very good caliber for all around use.

I'm not sure why the m9 has such a love/hate type reputation as it has served the military well, and made a very good migration to civilian useage, and in my opinion, is a quality weapon well worth anyones concideration when shopping for a handgun.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #10

I like the slide mounted safety decocting lever. I like it's function and I have never had a problem. I like the option for carry, but I can see where it can turn off people. I " grew" up on the gun so naturally I bought the px4 and I recommend giving it a shot. But if you don't like a big grip or the safety then it's really just not a fit for you. Which is most important really