Thoughts on FN 5.7?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Thoughts on FN 5.7?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thoughts on FN 5.7?

I'm considering getting a FN 5.7... Pros and cons versus something else? Just looking to use it for home protection and firing on the range. Nothing too big.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsp6920
I'm considering getting a FN 5.7... Pros and cons versus something else? Just looking to use it for home protection and firing on the range. Nothing too big.
Colts, FN is a well-made firearm and the smaller caliber allows for a very large (30 round) magazine before reloading. However, they are extreme velocity rounds (2,800 fps) with a fair amount of energy (400 lb-ft). This type of round, while being a fair real-life manstopper, would probably over penetrate and fly through several inches of building material, causing danger in other rooms or possibly other residences. A low velocity round that will stop in a target or wall if target is missed would probably be better for home defense.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Exellent point. In a situation that could happen in a couple years, like nato troops going door to door HERE taking the Law Abiding Citizens Firearms. JS, It is ideal for a combat firearm for penatrating armor. But you better have ammo because it is uncommon. 5.7x25

Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts

This topic has come up a few times. I'm always happy to add my 2c each time as a former owner.

Pros: light,accurate to 100 yards with some practice (good for a handgun), 20 round mags, very light recoil

Cons: expensive gun, expensive ammo, reloading is difficult, large pistol so more difficult to conceal or hold for people with small hands, point of impact varies between the heavier and lighter bullets, limited options in ammo or pistols, and the #1 reason that caused me to sell it, the safety is on the mid slide. I would often catch my holster and switch off so I always had to assume it was off. With that light of a trigger pull. It does not pass my safety test. The safety selector is located where it can be manipulated by the trigger finger.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have one and love mine...
It is great fun at the range. MSUP's post is pretty dead on though. Expensive round (5.7 X 28) and can be hard to find, however I just wait for gun shows it is readily available at those & for slightly less cost than the two LGS's that carry around here. The mag capacity is 20 rounds (not 30) as was said in an earlier post.

I also think that MSUP mentioned in one of his earlier posts (if I remember correctly) that he had a leather holster. I have a Blackhawk Serpa and have had no problems with the safety issue that he had.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts

It has been a while but the holster was soft sided and not kydex. That may help mitigate that part of the problem although anything brushing against the slide may cause the safety lever to move. I also rest my fine rigger finger where the switch is and often bumped it off. Training can overcome these issues but with the other shortcomings, this dog is too old to switch 20 years of pistol handling techniques!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
. The mag capacity is 20 rounds (not 30) as was said in an earlier post.
I wasn't referring to the factory magazine, but this one, simply stating it was capable of a very large capacity.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Colts, FN is a well-made firearm and the smaller caliber allows for a very large (30 round) magazine before reloading. However, they are extreme velocity rounds (2,800 fps) with a fair amount of energy (400 lb-ft). This type of round, while being a fair real-life manstopper, would probably over penetrate and fly through several inches of building material, causing danger in other rooms or possibly other residences. A low velocity round that will stop in a target or wall if target is missed would probably be better for home defense.
Actually, one of the selling points of the 5.7 ammo is that is doesn't over penetrate hard targets but fragments and breaks apart in such a situation. I've seen FNH video of the rounbd being fired into a cinderblock. It goes into it but does not come out the other side.

Also seen some personal tests (online - I forget what forum) done at a range. Someone recreated walls with sheetrock. The round stopped in the 3rd wall. At the Fn Forum, it's well known that short of going thru a window - the round won't leave your home.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

My opinion any handgun is a poor choice for home protection. Rifle or shotgun is better shotgun being preferred using at least bb shot or bigger.

I strongly recomend finding a fn5.7 you can fondle before buying. I like the round its a neat concept but i dont like the ergonomics of the only handgun its chambered in.

Another huge negative for defensive purposes is the round that does make it effective is not available to anyone but military or police.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have owned the handgun. I sold it later because I needed the $ to go towards a custom 1911 I was ordering at the time.

However, I do have two PS90s. I like the ergonomics and capacity of the PS90 carbine. I have no problems with using it for self defense. It actually makes a good SHTF weapon, IMHO... Low recoil. You can even fire the thing 1 handed if necessary. And, its shorter than a short barreled AR.

You also get more velocity out of the 16" barrel. I am not sure I would use the Five Seven handgun as a concealed carry weapon, however. But, the full polymer cover on top of the metal slide does make it an interesting weapon to be almost rust proof on the exterior.

Thoughts on FN 5.7? - Semi-Auto Handguns

Last edited by shipwreck; 07-24-2012 at 02:40 PM.