Thoughts on CZ P07
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Thoughts on CZ P07

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thoughts on CZ P07

Anybody have any experience with the CZ P07? I'm looking for my first handgun and on paper they seem to fit the bill nicely. Naturally I want to handle and fire one before I buy it, but seeing as they are so new I have some concerns about long term quality and dependability. From what I've read they eat any ammo you feed them, but some have had issues with the trigger resetting. Were those early production problems that CZ has cleared up or do those problems persist? Or did they simply need a good breaking in? Also, how is CZ's customer service if you do have problems?

Just to offer some backround on what I'm looking for in a gun, I'm looking for a carry piece. I really want a 1911 but circumstances call for my better judgment. I simply can't afford to feed one, not to mention they are far more expensive to buy. I would like to spend less than $500 (I know I'm making it a bit tough). CZs seem to be a good compromise, offering some of the traits that I love about the 1911 at a lower cost. I could probably find a used 1911 scouring the used market, but few seem to be interested in selling locally and I would much rather not buy a used firearm online. I could find a used CZ 75 or SP-01 that would fit the bill perfectly (or a Sig, Kahr, or definetely an XD which I haven't ruled out), but I really like the idea of buying a new weapon- but it must be high quality otherwise I can wait.

Sorry for the long, winding post

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I had a P01 for a time and if you like DA/SA triggers they are a fine gun. The feel, fit & finish are very good and I found it quite accurate. As I'm a 1911 fan, I have a very hard time adjusting to long trigger pulls - so I generally don't keep them around. You could do a lot worse...

Old 07-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've heard nothing but good about the P-07, and CZ always earns high marks for their 9's. I've handled a couple but haven't shot any.

I was recently shopping for a 9 in about the same price range you're talking about. I was considering Glock 19, Springfield XD, but leaning toward a Ruger SR9...when I stumbled upon a CZ 75b for $419. I definitely picked the right gun, and it points and handles a bit like a 1911.

The Ruger SR9 is one you might take a look at though. Solid little gun. Accurate, high capacity, slim profile, and only about $400. They're pretty good values and easy enough to find.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

After I pick up my 1911 I plan on getting a 9 in a cz. The p-07 is one I was considering. From what I read in gun magazines they're ideal guns.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #5

If you are looking for a good Polymer gun, go with the PO-7 Duty as it's called

I've handled one and the feel of it is awesome. Perfect for a carry gun and light. It's go everything I loved in the PO-1 inside of polyframe.

CZ are excellent handgun makers.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear they're gaining a good reputation, especially considering the price point. I don't have nearly as much handgun experience, but I do know that I'm not a fan of longer trigger pulls.

Also, Sweeper 22, a good friend has the SR9 and while it's a fine gun, it just wasn't for me. Didn't feel quite right in my hands.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #7

mpd8488,

May I suggest you go to CZ Forum - Index. There is a section dedicated to the P-07 and comments on cZ customer service.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #8

Default My first time out with the P07

Ok, I will be the first to admit, I like 1911's, I like steel. I grew up shooting my dads colt 45 and have bought a few 45's of various flavors over the years and currently down to only 1 a full sized Kimber and I love it. Having said that I was wanting something lighter to be a carry gun, one that if for whatever reason was confiscated by the police I would not cry because I lost a gun that set me back some money. I know a lot of police officers and yes they shoot the living crap out of those guns so by the time you were to get it back lets just say they are tore up. Anyway I looked at every 9mm they had in the shop from a lot of brands. Thinking No I will not buy the H&K Sig etc... Unless the price is right. I put a limit of no more that 700. Now second is I have fairly small hands so the glocks and glock likes were out as they are to fat to get a proper grip. I can do it just not ideal for me. Then there it was a P07 Duty from CZ I held it and it fit perfect but still holds 16 rounds. Looked at the price $450, offered him 400 and I would buy other stuff like ammo and SOLD! Ok so after I get it home and cleaned(was still in the packing oil) I went off to the range.

I went through 250 rounds and I must say, I am an ok shot nothing great just average. I shot that pistol better than I have shot in a Long Long time. No jams of any kind and 5 different brands of ammo from the gros and nasty to the more refine manufactures out there. It had no issues. can operate the slide release with one finger like on my Kimber, Mags drop as supposed to easy to release mag on the fly, Action was smooth, trigger pull was not bad at all not as tight as a custom trigger job but still very respectable. Disassembly is easy, Cleaning is easy, and at a price that I will carry it.

If you are thinking of it I suggest you go to a range that rents guns, rent one and buy a box of there ammo and then make your own judgement. As for me, I LOVE THIS GUN, even if it is not a steel slab 45.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrat View Post
Ok, I will be the first to admit, I like 1911's, I like steel. I grew up shooting my dads colt 45 and have bought a few 45's of various flavors over the years and currently down to only 1 a full sized Kimber and I love it. Having said that I was wanting something lighter to be a carry gun, one that if for whatever reason was confiscated by the police I would not cry because I lost a gun that set me back some money. I know a lot of police officers and yes they shoot the living crap out of those guns so by the time you were to get it back lets just say they are tore up. Anyway I looked at every 9mm they had in the shop from a lot of brands. Thinking No I will not buy the H&K Sig etc... Unless the price is right. I put a limit of no more that 700. Now second is I have fairly small hands so the glocks and glock likes were out as they are to fat to get a proper grip. I can do it just not ideal for me. Then there it was a P07 Duty from CZ I held it and it fit perfect but still holds 16 rounds. Looked at the price $450, offered him 400 and I would buy other stuff like ammo and SOLD! Ok so after I get it home and cleaned(was still in the packing oil) I went off to the range.

I went through 250 rounds and I must say, I am an ok shot nothing great just average. I shot that pistol better than I have shot in a Long Long time. No jams of any kind and 5 different brands of ammo from the gros and nasty to the more refine manufactures out there. It had no issues. can operate the slide release with one finger like on my Kimber, Mags drop as supposed to easy to release mag on the fly, Action was smooth, trigger pull was not bad at all not as tight as a custom trigger job but still very respectable. Disassembly is easy, Cleaning is easy, and at a price that I will carry it.

If you are thinking of it I suggest you go to a range that rents guns, rent one and buy a box of there ammo and then make your own judgement. As for me, I LOVE THIS GUN, even if it is not a steel slab 45.
Jrat, find the welcome thread and introduce yourself, something polite to do before offering advice on the forum.

one that if for whatever reason was confiscated by the police I would not cry because I lost a gun that set me back some money

I would address that when you hit up the new members thread

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #10

Default I own one

I own a P07 and when i bought it I was unsure of my purchase. I own Kimber 1911 and a few others including an xd45. I love them all but wanted to find a light gun to carry and practice with. What a surprise! I shgoot this gun very well even weak handed. WOW! I love it. Buy one and you will too. That is more than 50 years of shooting talking to you.