Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   To those on a tight budget....how are you prioritizing? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/those-tight-budget-how-you-prioritizing-77768/)

StainlessSteel215 12-05-2012 02:44 PM

To those on a tight budget....how are you prioritizing?

If I knew back around 2005 that this "hobby" would turn into the biggest addiction of my life, I seriously may have re-considered this lifestyle!

Jokes aside....how do some of you like me, who are on a tight budget, save and assign money towards guns/ammo/supplies/accessories? How disciplined are you and do you follow your own rules?

I need a bit of help in this area, because Ive broken my own rules quite a few times and sometimes find myself feeling guilty after a major ammunition or gun purchase. Im certainly not broke, but that money should absolutely be tucked away into savings for more serious financial purposes.

I'm finally at a place however that I'm 100% happy with in terms of my pistol collection. I was eyeballing the Glock 30SF for an alternate CCW gun for quite soemtime and just couldnt resist the urge to buy it....so I did. I now have (2) 9mm's and (2) 45acp's. 2 Glocks and 2 1911's and I'm happier than a pig in s---! I also have an acceptable supply of ammo, for now.

So, moving ahead I think Ive developed a system that I SWORE to myself I would abide by from now on. Its only fair to my wife & family to carry out this promise.....which is saving approx $50/mo and restricting myself to ONE gun purchase a year.

racer_x 12-05-2012 02:51 PM

I buy 1 or 2 guns a year. and save change for ammo an whatnot. I buy a couple boxes a year for my hunting needs, bulk pack 22s for fun and teaching the kids.

Sticking to it is my problem lol

StainlessSteel215 12-05-2012 03:00 PM

I should also add I'm hitting the range 1-2 times a month averaging 4 boxes of 50rounds each trip. I need to now spread this out and treat it as a reward to myself, not a right.

I think I'll restrict it to ONE range trip every other month.....4 boxes of ammo each trip.

These 2 rules should cut down my expenses a ton. Its my favorite hobby hands-down but right now its eating me alive!

magnumman 12-05-2012 03:05 PM

I pull $100 out of my paycheck for whatever I decide to spend it on. Sometimes I will save it for a gun but I have been stocking reloading components lately. I really don't have to many other hobbies but if I decide I want something else, I take it from my " gun budget". Next purchase is a Mathews bow

rhyno13 12-05-2012 03:14 PM

I have plenty of weapons, I am spending most of my available gun money on ammo and maybe some reloading equip.

potentialglock 12-05-2012 03:15 PM

I personally envy your decision to do this. I'm gonna start cutting down too. I've purchased six guns in the past 6 months. I always find great deals but still.

robertb6112 12-05-2012 03:26 PM

It's hard. But I was lucky to get some Overtime at work during my birthday and I got my dad to go halfers on a marlin 795. That tells how how tight my budget is. And right now I have a 1903 Springfield on lay away. And I surprised my wife let me because we really can't afford it. But I've been working 7 days a week since October. These are the first guns I've got in 3 years.

potentialglock 12-05-2012 03:29 PM

I think I have one more gun purchase I wanna make after Christmas. But after that I'm limiting myself to $100 worth of ammo a month. If that.

StainlessSteel215 12-05-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potentialglock (Post 1039883)
I personally envy your decision to do this. I'm gonna start cutting down too. I've purchased six guns in the past 6 months. I always find great deals but still.

Its hard finding that thin line between:

"I work my butt off and I deserve it"

and "these things are costing me on average $600 every 3 months + ammo and I dont REALLY need another one"

I do feel somewhat guilty about my recent Glock purchase so close to Christmas, specially since my wife & I agreed to cut down on spending on our huge family. Im not in a financial position at 30 years old to be making any more gun purchases for a while...and need to conserve on ammo. I've had plenty of practice and I'm a great shot with all my guns....now its time to cut back big time and use them for safety. I think for those on a budget, one gun a year for $600 is a smart move....and if I can hold back and skip a year I'll have $1200 to throw down on a gun and stay WELL within my budget :)

Yunus 12-05-2012 04:42 PM

Buy a .22 if you don't have one already. Use that as your primary range gun, it will save you lots of ammo costs.