Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Thigh holster questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thigh holster questions

OK, I know I want a thigh holster/rig for my taurus millenium pro, but all the ones I look at are the fabric pouch I want a polymer case that will securely hold the pistol in hunting situations, (i.e. Crouched, crawling, and kneeling) with little to no chancw of hanging the thumb catch on a limb or what not. If anyone has any ideas of where to find a good thigh rig for this pistol, please let me know... I do know that my wifes smith and wesson m&p 9 m will fit in my fobus conceal holster that I havw now...

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but not for long" -Me
"Aim small miss small" -Mel Gibson "The Patriot"
"If at first u dont succeed, you didnt aim well enough." - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thigh holster with that firearm screams mall ninja to me, lol.

What are your purposes for carrying that while hunting? A large caliber revolver would better suit your needs of defense from bears. All a .45 would do is piss a large grizzly off. There are lots of threads covering this topic if your wondering about what caliber is best.

Second, a shoulder holster would be best for what you described. Very little chance of snagging anything and I feel it would be more secure than a thigh holster.

So back to your original question (in case you are hell-bent on carrying your Pro), CopsPlus.com has a lot of polymer thigh holsters and I'm sure one is configured for your firearm.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Safariland thigh's. I used one for some years. They are expensive but they are quality made and will keep the gun secure. Used by many SWAT teams and raid entry teams throughout the country if not the world.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like a thigh holster when hunting, camping or hiking, not a lot of grizzly's here in the PNW and I expect even less in SC so a 45 works for me. It works well if your carrying a rifle or a back pack as the pistol is at a point easy to access. I've done well with the padded nylon holster fitted for the pistol I am carrying

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #5

@Dnthmn2004 sorry I do live in sc, n im not crazy enough to hunt for bears anyway, I do have a shoulder holster already, however I am currently considering getting rid of it because it just iant comfortable to wear nor is it small enough to fit my 5'8" 167 pound frame, I like the practicality of the thigh holster because it places the pistol on an easy to reach location to where if I need to use it on say snakes or such I can easily grab it without having to fumble for my rifle... I appreciate everyones input so far please keep it coming, also I checked safariland holsters and they are very nice but they are also out of my price range...

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but not for long" -Me
"Aim small miss small" -Mel Gibson "The Patriot"
"If at first u dont succeed, you didnt aim well enough." - Me

Old 05-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I have used thigh holster rigs for years here in Az when I hunt. It is more comfortable then wearing a shoulder holster or a belt holster. I have been using a Eagle Industry and a Blackhawk Omega dropleg holster when I am hunting/riding on horse back/4-wheelers. It is much easier to use my handgun if needed.
If I am going to go in to bear country I carry my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag or my Ruger Vaquero .45LC in a cowboy style rig.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used a thigh holster from Safariland a lot while I want on deployment. To be honest I won't use one again and went to a regular belt holster. I just don't like the way the thigh holsters feel on my leg...especially when running and what not.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 05-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

I see no use for a thigh holster.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #9

Liked 1761 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I see no use for a thigh holster.

You're kidding, right? They look soooo cool when standing around a train station or an airport!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #10

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You mean like a drop-leg holster? I used to have one for hog hunting. We spot and stalk and when you only have a muzzleloader as your primary weapon, a sidearm in a drop-leg holster is a valueable asset. When I go to the woods, I use what works and I don't spend any time wondering what I look like wearing it.

I ended up going with a different holster because I could never keep the strap tight around my thigh. I would cinch it down, but it would work itself loose and go to flapping on the side of my leg, making too much noise for hunting.