Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Tell me if I made some decent purchases.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Tell me if I made some decent purchases.

Once again I turn to my friends here for honest opinions. I have never had a 1911 so I decided to start resonably and orderd a Remington 1911 R1(thanks canebrake) and for concealment carry I ordered the new kimber solo. So what do y'all think? When I learn how to shoot the 1911 well I will step up for a custom
Model(colt, kimber,springer) which from what I have seen are 3 times as much for a really good one. Thanks, Ed

Last edited by eborden1122; 02-12-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Haven't owned or shot the Remington 1911 (one of very few I have no experience with) buy everything I've heard says it's a great starter for the platform. The Kimber Solo is just to new for me to be interested in so I'll wait and see on that one...

Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've heard a lot of good things about the Remington 1911 but I personally haven't shot one. I think Canebrake has one and speaks highly of it for an entry level 1911. If he gives it the OK I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I figure I made a good gun purchase if I'm happy with it after a few months. I'm happy with it if it functioned well, I can be fairly accurate with it, and it fills the need for which I bought it. Looking for approval from others for what I like usually leads to my being disappointed.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well I've already paid for them so let's hope they turn out good. Ha. Let's me ask this then. Say when I get them in and shhot them and they turn out to suck. Do most gun stores take them back for exchange on a different pistol.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
Well I've already paid for them so let's hope they turn out good. Ha. Let's me ask this then. Say when I get them in and shhot them and they turn out to suck. Do most gun stores take them back for exchange on a different pistol.
Generally no unless you have a really special dealer. When you walk out the door - it's now a used gun...

Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

I sure wouldn't be concerned about either of those guns. My prediction is they will be with you for a long time.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #8

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
Depends on what you mean by "they turn out to suck." If they are not 100% there is a warranty to correct that. If you mean they don't function as well as you thought they would or you cannot shoot them accurately, that's on you. Keep in mind that an entry level 1911 is not going to perform or have the fit and finish of a much more expensive custom model. Think of it as a starter kit, you get to upgrade it till it's exactly what you want. There will also be a certain break in period during which accuracy will improve and the gun will hit point of aim more consistently with smaller groups.

If you are still unhappy a trade-in is possible but, as pointed out, you now have a used gun. You will not get 100% of your money out of the trade but you will recover some of the loss. Sites like gunbroker.com may get you a better price if you are willing to go through that process.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well, I would own one in a heartbeat. There have been good reviews and there is at least one member here that owns one.

It's a pretty basic 1911, but it's got a few features of more expensive models. It's a Remington which makes it a bit different and I kind of like that.

Just shoot the heck out of it and clean in between range trips. There's no reason in the world to be unhappy with it.

A first 1911 isn't a pistol, it's an experience.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks y'all. Had a case of buyers remorse but not anymore. Ready to get them in and shoot the heck out of them.