Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Tell me if I made some decent purchases. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/tell-me-if-i-made-some-decent-purchases-38356/)

eborden1122 02-12-2011 11:46 AM

Tell me if I made some decent purchases.

Once again I turn to my friends here for honest opinions. I have never had a 1911 so I decided to start resonably and orderd a Remington 1911 R1(thanks canebrake) and for concealment carry I ordered the new kimber solo. So what do y'all think? When I learn how to shoot the 1911 well I will step up for a custom
Model(colt, kimber,springer) which from what I have seen are 3 times as much for a really good one. Thanks, Ed

NGIB 02-12-2011 11:59 AM

Haven't owned or shot the Remington 1911 (one of very few I have no experience with) buy everything I've heard says it's a great starter for the platform. The Kimber Solo is just to new for me to be interested in so I'll wait and see on that one...

spittinfire 02-12-2011 12:06 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about the Remington 1911 but I personally haven't shot one. I think Canebrake has one and speaks highly of it for an entry level 1911. If he gives it the OK I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Jo da Plumbr 02-12-2011 12:11 PM

I figure I made a good gun purchase if I'm happy with it after a few months. I'm happy with it if it functioned well, I can be fairly accurate with it, and it fills the need for which I bought it. Looking for approval from others for what I like usually leads to my being disappointed.

eborden1122 02-12-2011 12:39 PM

Well I've already paid for them so let's hope they turn out good. Ha. Let's me ask this then. Say when I get them in and shhot them and they turn out to suck. Do most gun stores take them back for exchange on a different pistol.

NGIB 02-12-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eborden1122 (Post 443412)
Well I've already paid for them so let's hope they turn out good. Ha. Let's me ask this then. Say when I get them in and shhot them and they turn out to suck. Do most gun stores take them back for exchange on a different pistol.

Generally no unless you have a really special dealer. When you walk out the door - it's now a used gun...

ScottA 02-12-2011 01:56 PM

I sure wouldn't be concerned about either of those guns. My prediction is they will be with you for a long time. :)

Jpyle 02-12-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eborden1122 (Post 443412)

Depends on what you mean by "they turn out to suck." If they are not 100% there is a warranty to correct that. If you mean they don't function as well as you thought they would or you cannot shoot them accurately, that's on you. Keep in mind that an entry level 1911 is not going to perform or have the fit and finish of a much more expensive custom model. Think of it as a starter kit, you get to upgrade it till it's exactly what you want. There will also be a certain break in period during which accuracy will improve and the gun will hit point of aim more consistently with smaller groups.

If you are still unhappy a trade-in is possible but, as pointed out, you now have a used gun. You will not get 100% of your money out of the trade but you will recover some of the loss. Sites like gunbroker.com may get you a better price if you are willing to go through that process.

CA357 02-12-2011 04:04 PM

Well, I would own one in a heartbeat. There have been good reviews and there is at least one member here that owns one.

It's a pretty basic 1911, but it's got a few features of more expensive models. It's a Remington which makes it a bit different and I kind of like that.

Just shoot the heck out of it and clean in between range trips. There's no reason in the world to be unhappy with it.

A first 1911 isn't a pistol, it's an experience. ;)

eborden1122 02-12-2011 04:43 PM

Thanks y'all. Had a case of buyers remorse but not anymore. Ready to get them in and shoot the heck out of them. :D