Tell me about the KelTec P3-AT
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Tell me about the KelTec P3-AT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Tell me about the KelTec P3-AT

Anybody got one? In CA, only Law Enforcement can buy a new one. However, a civilian can buy one second hand. I know it's stupid, but that's CA gun laws.
So, if you can get lucky and know a kind hearted LEO, you can pay over $500. for a new one.

I had an opportunity to pick one up today in decent shape. I sold my CZ82 and now I'm selling the 9x18 ammunition to pay for it, since money's tight.

I figure it's definitely a belly gun, but I'm not going to be shooting it in any matches. I like the tiny size and concealment potential. I don't like the baby bullets and six round capacity.

So, now after the fact, what do you guys think of them? I can use some of your wisdom.

If I made a mistake, I can easily recoup my investment for the reasons stated in the first paragraph.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

CA357,

I have one and I like it for it's size, and light weight. It's fairly accurate to about 20 feet for an average to above shooter. It has a bit of a recoil and unless you're a glutton for punishment you wouldn't want to run a couple boxes of ammo through it at the range at one time. Recently I shot 2 mag's at 25 yards hitting paper (small bore target) on all shots although they were a bit scattered. It's unlikely that someone would shoot at that distance for self defense but it's nice to know the capability.

Two drawbacks: 1: the slide doesn't lock back after the last round from a mag. You need to put another mag in and rack the slide to chamber a new round. I've started counting rounds as they are fired to avoid that issue. 2: the availability of .380 ammo, it's hard to find. I place orders online from several places and have it shipped when it becomes available.

I paid $325 w/tax, used, for mine at the height of the "small" gun craze. Had I waited about 8 months, I've seen them new as low as $259.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the info Car54.

My buddy calls guns like this "Doctor Guns": eyes, ears, nose and throat.

I'll practice with it at seven to ten yards. I figure to see how it feeds hollowpoints and shoot it enough to be comfortable with it. I definitely didn't buy it as a range gun, it's just the idea of having something in certain circumstances rather than nothing.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #4

Here's a decent video review of the Kel-Tec 380acp.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Motor.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why can't civilians buy one new? That just sounds stupid.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It is stupid. A civilian can buy one person to person from an LEO, whether it's new or used, we just can't buy a new one outright from a store.

That should give you an idea of how incredibly stupid CA gun laws are.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a ruger LCP, which looks like the P3AT. I call mine a "Jesus" gun. Meaning by the time I have to rely on my backup gun-somebody's going to meet Jesus!! I'd recommend Hornady Critical Defense ammo for it if you can find/order it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It is stupid. A civilian can buy one person to person from an LEO, whether it's new or used, we just can't buy a new one outright from a store.

That should give you an idea of how incredibly stupid CA gun laws are.
You need to find a new state to live in. What is(or is there any) the logic behind that rule? So how do you know if can buy something or not?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's the roster: Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

This is why the Charter Arms Bulldog target model I traded for back in November is still in the FFL's safe. It's not on the "approved" lost. Until the seller/trader can meet me in person at the FFL's, I can't own it. In the meantime, I'm out 300 bucks worth of .45ACP ammunition and don't have squat in return.

It's even so stupid that a handgun may be approved that happens to be blued, but the same model in stainless may not be. How's that for amazing?

...and believe me, as soon as we can, we're definitely out of here!

Last edited by CA357; 03-05-2010 at 04:24 PM.