Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Tell me about the KelTec P3-AT (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/tell-me-about-keltec-p3-24230/)

CA357 03-05-2010 01:55 AM

Tell me about the KelTec P3-AT

Anybody got one? In CA, only Law Enforcement can buy a new one. However, a civilian can buy one second hand. I know it's stupid, but that's CA gun laws.
So, if you can get lucky and know a kind hearted LEO, you can pay over $500. for a new one. :eek:

I had an opportunity to pick one up today in decent shape. I sold my CZ82 and now I'm selling the 9x18 ammunition to pay for it, since money's tight.

I figure it's definitely a belly gun, but I'm not going to be shooting it in any matches. I like the tiny size and concealment potential. I don't like the baby bullets and six round capacity.

So, now after the fact, what do you guys think of them? I can use some of your wisdom.

If I made a mistake, I can easily recoup my investment for the reasons stated in the first paragraph.

Car54 03-05-2010 03:05 AM

CA357,

I have one and I like it for it's size, and light weight. It's fairly accurate to about 20 feet for an average to above shooter. It has a bit of a recoil and unless you're a glutton for punishment you wouldn't want to run a couple boxes of ammo through it at the range at one time. Recently I shot 2 mag's at 25 yards hitting paper (small bore target) on all shots although they were a bit scattered. It's unlikely that someone would shoot at that distance for self defense but it's nice to know the capability.

Two drawbacks: 1: the slide doesn't lock back after the last round from a mag. You need to put another mag in and rack the slide to chamber a new round. I've started counting rounds as they are fired to avoid that issue. 2: the availability of .380 ammo, it's hard to find. I place orders online from several places and have it shipped when it becomes available.

I paid $325 w/tax, used, for mine at the height of the "small" gun craze. Had I waited about 8 months, I've seen them new as low as $259.

CA357 03-05-2010 04:03 AM

Thanks for the info Car54.

My buddy calls guns like this "Doctor Guns": eyes, ears, nose and throat.

I'll practice with it at seven to ten yards. I figure to see how it feeds hollowpoints and shoot it enough to be comfortable with it. I definitely didn't buy it as a range gun, it's just the idea of having something in certain circumstances rather than nothing.

MotorG20 03-05-2010 04:22 AM

Here's a decent video review of the Kel-Tec 380acp.

CA357 03-05-2010 04:43 AM

Thanks Motor.

spittinfire 03-05-2010 11:55 AM

Why can't civilians buy one new? That just sounds stupid.

CA357 03-05-2010 02:57 PM

It is stupid. A civilian can buy one person to person from an LEO, whether it's new or used, we just can't buy a new one outright from a store.

That should give you an idea of how incredibly stupid CA gun laws are.

stalkingbear 03-05-2010 03:41 PM

I have a ruger LCP, which looks like the P3AT. I call mine a "Jesus" gun. Meaning by the time I have to rely on my backup gun-somebody's going to meet Jesus!! I'd recommend Hornady Critical Defense ammo for it if you can find/order it.

spittinfire 03-05-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 241762)
It is stupid. A civilian can buy one person to person from an LEO, whether it's new or used, we just can't buy a new one outright from a store.

That should give you an idea of how incredibly stupid CA gun laws are.

You need to find a new state to live in. What is(or is there any) the logic behind that rule? So how do you know if can buy something or not?

CA357 03-05-2010 04:22 PM

Here's the roster: Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

This is why the Charter Arms Bulldog target model I traded for back in November is still in the FFL's safe. It's not on the "approved" lost. Until the seller/trader can meet me in person at the FFL's, I can't own it. In the meantime, I'm out 300 bucks worth of .45ACP ammunition and don't have squat in return.

It's even so stupid that a handgun may be approved that happens to be blued, but the same model in stainless may not be. How's that for amazing?

...and believe me, as soon as we can, we're definitely out of here!