TCP vs LCP--But more specific
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > TCP vs LCP--But more specific

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default TCP vs LCP--But more specific

I've read a couple reviews and forms with people comparing each of these two guns about which is "better". ect... Anyway my question is more specific then the general A vs B gun. As far as reliability and functionality goes, I want to know which one SHOULD work/ be more reliable when wet/dirty/muddy when considering how they are made mechanically- how they operate.. ect.. I'm not What I mean is. if you take care of an AR and an AK. they will both function like they should and be comparable firearms (They will do what they were ment to do.) However, when you through them both in the mud they both might be subject to problems but the AK should be much less affected because of it's design. [I'm just using that as an example because it was something I read once, I don't own ether of them. So don't let your opinion of those two guns distract us from this topic please]
Is their any diference in how these guns are designed that would make a SIGNIFICANT diference in how they operate when wet and muddy.
Thanks,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #2

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I bought a TCP. It malfunctioned nearly every magazine load. It was brand new - and clean. I sold it.
I bought an LCP. It has never malfunctioned - it was brand new and clean. I still have it - it is my almost always go to - carry.

No mud involved.

Just my experience...

Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #3

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

I believe both are recessed hammer fire operated, and pretty well concealed hammers. Honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to determine difference in the stress test category. Have you looked up stress tests on both guns

Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #4

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've owned two LCPs. Both ran great, I pocket carry it in Florida with all the heat and sweat. I only traded the first one bc it was rusting with all the humidity. The one I have now is the hard chrome model. No more rusting, but good look finding one.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

Quote:
I believe both are recessed hammer fire operated, and pretty well concealed hammers. Honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to determine difference in the stress test category. Have you looked up stress tests on both guns
That's more or less what i was thinking. That their would be little to no difference. But I hadn't looked for that, but I will. Thanks,

@Colby & 1911, Thanks, I've heard a lot of good things about the lcp. I live in South Louisiana and humidity is a big issue here too.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Gotguns, IIRC it was a DLO exclusive. If ya gotta have it, PM me, there's a small chance I might be able to get one. I primarily deal with LEO distributors. It won't be cheap if you want it, and again I prob can't get it, but if you need I'll try. Also, its been 3 yrs since I got it, so the source may be dried up. I'm in Florida, so lots of FFL fees of course.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #7

Oh also, I bought the Crimson Trace Laser Guard at the same time and it came with a nice pocket holster that accommodated the laser. Before I was running a DeSantis Nemesis. It's similar, but better quality. Nice pocket holster that "grabs" the inside of your pocket so only the gun comes out on the draw. DeSantis was GTG after I sliced off the QC tag on the inside BTW. It's all about holsters IMO for CC. Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

netherone was designed to work in mud. Small pistols demand more from the shooter and the ammo than large models. Both ruger and taurus have made upgrades to there pistols to make them more reliable. The TCP has a hold open and has a far better trigger than ruger and 2 more oz of weaight. We have to model that have a C in the serial numner and both have run great for a 400 plus rounds and seem not to care what hp ammo is used. If your going in to mud, use a darm baggy for the pistol. My wifes Stainless steel model has the sights painted to help then to stand out. Thats it. Just a couple great little pistols. If your not swiming in mud , just worried about normal working mans life in florida , use a good holster in your pocket and go to work. Mud , maybe glock or some old wobbly 1911 after a water dip and shack.

Last edited by hardluk1; 04-04-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
netherone was designed to work in mud. Small pistols demand more from the shooter and the ammo than large models. Both ruger and taurus have made upgrades to there pistols to make them more reliable. The TCP has a hold open and has a far better trigger than ruger and 2 more oz of weaight. We have to model that have a C in the serial numner and both have run great for a 400 plus rounds and seem not to care what hp ammo is used. If your going in to mud, use a darm baggy for the pistol. My wifes Satless steel model has the sights painted to help then to stand out. Thats it. Just a couple great little pistols. If your not swiming in mud , just worried about normal working mans life in florida , use a good holster in your pocket and go to work. Mud , maybe glock or some old wobbly 1911 after a water dip and shack.
I agree greatly when it comes to the trigger, however that means little when comes to how they will handle grit.

Honestly it's less a matter of which model and more of which serial number. The tighter the gun the less gunk will get in. But unless you can handle in person you're basically hitting and hoping.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #10

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My daughter had the Taurus TCP380 that would not fire more than three rounds in a row without a failure even after two trips back to Taurus. She now has a LCP-CT that has been flawless.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln