Taurus TCP Range Test.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus TCP Range Test.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus TCP Range Test.

A few months ago I got really tired of trying to conceal and lug around a Glock 19, so I decided I might like a small .380 for pocket carry. I have no issues with the Glock and it is a very good shooter but I live in Florida and when it is boiling outside, it is hard to find the right clothes combo to hide it. I talked to several LEO friends and got several answers. Buy a Glock 26 or a Kahr CW9, I heard. Money was a little tight and I really didn't want to spend $500 on a pocket piece. I was looking through G and A and saw the Ruger LCP. It reminded me of a Keltec. I asked several friends what they carried. A friend of mine bought a LCP and said his was solid. Another friend of mine bought a Keltec. I decided to check out the pocket firearms in the price range of $300. I went to several shops and at Bass Pro, I ran into the Taurus TCP for $299.00.Ther Ruger LCP was $319 with one mag. The Taurus had two mags and a Bulldog carry case. Plus the TCP had a feature the Ruger did not, it locked open on the last round. A feature I think is very necessary. After looking over both, I decided the TCP was the best buy. It also fit my hand better than the LCP. I had a Taurus 66 revolver that was solid. I had also shot several others. I know about the horror stories of Taurus guns blowing up or falling apart when a fly lands on them or some story or other. I bought the TCP.

I had the TCP for about two months before I decided to take it to the range. I had just bought a Stoeger Cougar and was going to shoot it so why not take the TCP. I went by Wally world and bought a box of Fed. FMJ .380 and some 9mm and straight to the range I went. I was so fired up about the Stoeger that I forgot to clean the TCP. Oh well, I am there at the range with 100 rounds of .380 FMJ so I went for it.
The TCP was difficult to get a good hold on because it kicked pretty good for its size. Once I figured out how to hold it, the weapon fired nicely. I was able to keep all my shots inside the rings. Not bad for a weapon that has no sights. Actually it has sights but the hell if anybody but a munchkin can find them. The basic principle for aiming is square to the target, point straight and shoot. I had one jam (FTE) on the second mag that I cleared easily. I fired all one 100 rounds and had one jam. Not too shabby for a new weapon that was not cleaned. It also did not blow my hand off as some say a Taurus will do.
All in all, not a bad piece. The TCP was made for concealment so sights and the grip are not going to be great. After figuring out the aim point and grip style for my hand, the TCP fired well. A pretty good concealment piece for a decent price.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Good report. Sounds like you had fun.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Hey Dan, I did have a good time with the TCP and the Stoeger. The TCP is what it is. It is a piece to be used in the strict 3-5-7 (3 shots in 5 seconds at 7 feet) type situation. I also did the old John Wayne one hand bang-bang. That was fun as hell with the TCP.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Great review Rebel!

I guess I'll have to keep that new Taurus in mind when the day comes that decide to go shopping for a pocket pistol as well.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sounds good. Congrats.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

I shoot in orlando to KW. Usually head to Oakridge Gun Range. Decent range. Weather can be brutal here in the summer. Shorts and t-shirt are great but try to conceal something on any size and it just won't happen. I like the Keltec. A good friend who is an LEO said his was great. PM me and let know me if you want to run at the range.