Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus, reliable?

View Poll Results: Taurus needed service?
Yes 62 28.70%
No 116 53.70%
N/A 38 17.59%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
First time poster/reader/internet access?
Me? No, I read about the quality issues but with a price tag as low as what I paid... willing to take the risk.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #22

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I just got hammered on a local forum for trying to steer a fella away from a new Taurus poly gun. I recounted my experience with the only new one I've ever bought - and I was accused of being a "basher".

Simple honest poll here. If you have owned a Taurus that has had to go back for warranty work - answer yes. If you have owned a Taurus that has been reliable and has not needed warranty work - answer no. If you're never owned a Taurus - answer - N/A...
used to have a taurus PT99 way back in the late 80's it was a MUCH better gun than they berreta 92 at the time. toay 20 years later i would say taurus has gone way down hill since then. in the 80's taurus was building better guns than ruger.

i wouldnt buy a current production taurus.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:49 AM   #23

Default Pt1911 is a damn nice piece

I bought a PT1911 and it has been a very good gun. I had the none issue with the safety, but it was easily fixed by tapping it back together. It is a press fit that can come loose if it is oiled too much, at least that's what appears to be the case with mine. I haven't had any more trouble with it after I re- staked it. Then I bought a Judge about a year later, and I had trouble with that one. It would not let the 410 Federal ammo go into all of the cylinders smoothly. One of the cylinders was good, but the rest of them you had to force it in so the thing would rotate with no friction. That gun is at the factory now

Old 04-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #24

I've put about 500 rounds through my Taurus TCP and i haven't had a single problem with it yet.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #25

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptin View Post
I bought a PT1911 and it has been a very good gun. I had the none issue with the safety, but it was easily fixed by tapping it back together. It is a press fit that can come loose if it is oiled too much, at least that's what appears to be the case with mine. I haven't had any more trouble with it after I re- staked it. Then I bought a Judge about a year later, and I had trouble with that one. It would not let the 410 Federal ammo go into all of the cylinders smoothly. One of the cylinders was good, but the rest of them you had to force it in so the thing would rotate with no friction. That gun is at the factory now
I was reading in one of Guns & Ammo magazines (I think it was that magazine but can not remember for sure) that people were having trouble with the Judge and the ammo for it. I was thinking about getting one but am going to wait about a year and see if they work out the bugs.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
in the 80's taurus was building better guns than ruger.
Really? The beloved Redhawk began production in 1980. It offered a reinforced frame and longer cylinder that greatly increased maximum load capacity. It was revolutionary in it's rugged design. Then in '86 the GP100 was introduced. Both are still manufactured today and remain two of the most durable revolvers available.

What product(s) did Taurus develop/revolutionize during that time period that is still the current standard for performance, quality or durability? Not sarcasm. . . I just don't know my Taurus'.

Quote:
i wouldnt buy a current production taurus.
Completely agree with you on that.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:48 AM   #27

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've had a few Taurus over the years. Some better than others but they all worked pretty well. I have two of the PT1911's now that have been flawless for a ton of ammo. I do think they have got better over time. Still the CS dept is not much to speak of. I've not dealt with them personally but have a couple friends that has issues with them.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

once had a pt99ss and never had a problem wit it. even after ive dropped it in sand and fired without cleaning it and had zero problems

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #29

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My point with Taurus has always been that it's a crap shoot whether you get a good one or junk. Yes, they can and do deliver good reliable guns - but will you be lucky enough to get a good one? I'm actually pretty shocked at the poll numbers as I was figuring the "bad" gun percentage would be a lot lower...

Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had PT111, 24/7 .45acp, PT145, and 85UL with zero issues.

Last edited by RevDerb; 07-28-2010 at 06:47 PM.