Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus, reliable?

View Poll Results: Taurus needed service?
Yes 62 28.57%
No 117 53.92%
N/A 38 17.51%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ive owned a PT745 single stack compact .45 which was perfect and later traded it in on something else.
And i own a PT1911 thats had its share of bumps and bruises and i refused to send it back to Taurus and be without it since its my favorite CCW.
But i now have some pretty serious wear inside the slide and the ejector has worn threw its slot and was rubbing against the firing pin saftey plunger.
Not so much a big deal since i had to remove the plunger as it no longer worked with the Wilson HD extractor i had to put in after the stock one peened its self almost to death.
The Plunger/firing pin/extractor all have to be ALL Taurus parts or ALL after market parts as you cant mix them.
They designed it so all the parts are made just slightly different and changing 1 part screws the whole system up.

So basically i need a new slide.
I called Taurus and they wont pay the shipping since ive owned the gun over 1 year.
Shipping yourself is expensive as most of you know $50+ to overnight it.
But i just sent an email too my local shop i bought it at and hopefully they will ship it for me cheaply. I don't mind paying for normal shipping costs, But $50+ is stupid.

Once its returned i will most likley sell or trade it in on a better quality 1911 made with good steel.

Clark Custom guns who makes the .460 Rowland conversions for 1911's just added the PT1911 to the list of guns they don't recommend using their conversion in.
My honest guess is metal quality as a reason.

Last edited by DasFriek; 08-19-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #102

NO, My 1987 Taurus PT 99 AF 9MM has been flawless, I really beleive it's a hit or miss in buying one from all that I have heard about TAURUS, Not a single hick-up in over 23 years!! with this baby.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #103

My 24/7 Pro CDS has one of the best feeling grips of any handgun I've felt stock or modded. A Godsend, about 600 rounds so far and not a single FTF.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #104

Default Judge public defender issues

I have owned a public defender for.about a year and am about to call for a pickup ticket for the second time. First it was the cylinder latch, the cylinder was replaced but fell off after 35 rounds. The second time will be for the same problem, this time after maybe 50 rounds.
I like the gun a lot and it shoots dead on. Does anyone know how to get them to just replace the gun entirety.
THANX!

Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #105

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneycuf View Post
I have owned a public defender for.about a year and am about to call for a pickup ticket for the second time. First it was the cylinder latch, the cylinder was replaced but fell off after 35 rounds. The second time will be for the same problem, this time after maybe 50 rounds.
I like the gun a lot and it shoots dead on. Does anyone know how to get them to just replace the gun entirety.
THANX!
Its fairly hard to get a factory to replace the whole gun without a charge of some sort if the gun isnt completely wrecked and still under warranty and its not the user's fault.
The key flaw in the .410/45LC Judge design is the long cylinder which equals a long ejector rod which can be easily bent. A lot of people dont realize as reliable as a revolver may be, it has its limitations. I'm not saying the Judge is a bad gun, by far not the case. My suggestion is to get a good private gunsmith to take a good look at it and see what they can do with the gun to get it back to good shape. Sometimes its not the gun but the gunsmiths that you give the gun to that make the difference, the Taurus smiths are only required to restore the gun to factory specs, unlike a private gunsmith who may be willing to do a more justice to it.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #106

Liked 2140 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

live thread live. I've been shooting for alot of years I've owned 3 taurus guns 1 revolver flawless, a pt1911 flawless and millienium pro in 40 that had a mag release issue. I called taurus they sent new parts in 3 days has worked fine ever since. the other issue I had with taurus I was refinishing a friends old 92 and a spring got away from me and fell into the twilight zone. called taurus told them I lost a spring 3 days later new spring no charge not even shipping charge. so I guess I like taurus. I've owned 3 rugers no problems friend owned a blackhawk that wouldn't hit within 3 feet of point of aim. eventually the gun self destructed. I still like my rugers. My pt 1911 is very accurate feeds everything and so far has been 100% reliable a friend owns a custom springfield that he has 1200 bucks in and it only feeds one type of ammo so the point is every manufacturer makes good guns and bad guns so what? The one thing that is missing from this thread is real statistics. Are there more Taurus' sold because they are inexpensive versuses smith or colt or springfields etc, etc. In the end I guess you should buy what you want and what you like. There are gun snobs everywhere some people won't own anything but a smith some a colt some a ruger and lots of times it's only because that's what their daddy owned or it was their first gun. Just like the chevy and ford fans. You can get a lemon anywhere from anybody it's life.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #107

Default Taurus Judge

I have a Taurus judge sometimes if im shooting alot it will misfire by the firing pin not being able to strike the primer hard enough. I have had the same problem with other revolvers.any advice most appreciated

Last edited by sheriff1000; 12-31-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #108

Ihave a Judge and sent my first one back and got a replacement gun NOT a new one.I still have issues with it

Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #109

Default Taurus PT-1911 AR

I shoot my PT-1911 AR in 3 (three) pistol matches each month. They are IPSC, IDPA, and Bolwing Pins. I fire about 120 rounds for each match so 360 rounds for each month.

For the past year that makes at least 4,320 but add in some plinking and I estimate my 1911 has shot at least 4,500 in the last year. Never even one problem.

While on the range I have had people ask me what brand name it is and a few days ago I received a phone call asking about the brand name because he wanted to buy one after watching me fire mine for weeks.

Jim

Old 12-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #110

Default Mags

Folks I have 28 years of US Army military service starting in the brown boot Army. I have law enforcement experience and I shoot in pistol matches every month. Having said that IMO any weapon that uses a magazine the problem almost always is because of the magazine. With my PT-1911 AR I only
WILSON COMBAT MAGAZINES and have never had a failure to fire.

FWIW I carry my PT-1911 AR as my CCW weapon in a CROSS BREED holster. Useing a Wilson magazine with 8 rounds in the clip and one in the chamber (9) that's a lot of weight but the Cross Bred holster carrys the weight fine and does not 'print'.
Jim