Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Taurus, reliable? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/taurus-reliable-25971/)

NGIB 04-12-2010 03:35 PM

Taurus, reliable?

I just got hammered on a local forum for trying to steer a fella away from a new Taurus poly gun. I recounted my experience with the only new one I've ever bought - and I was accused of being a "basher".

Simple honest poll here. If you have owned a Taurus that has had to go back for warranty work - answer yes. If you have owned a Taurus that has been reliable and has not needed warranty work - answer no. If you're never owned a Taurus - answer - N/A...

ninjatoth 04-12-2010 04:28 PM

Had a Model 94 .22 revolver that went back 2Xs in a 5 month period.Both times they replaced it alltogether because the ones they sent me were so beyond repair.

LegatoRedrivers 04-12-2010 04:39 PM

No, just routine cleaning/oiling.

To be fair, however, mine is a revolver, not semi-auto.

notdku 04-12-2010 04:43 PM

Owned several Taurus products and currently own one. Never had a single quality issue with one of them.

dewey 04-12-2010 05:01 PM

Have a revolver- no problems
have a semi auto- no problems

Westy 04-13-2010 12:18 AM

I have two revolvers:

A .44 mag in 4"- never had an issue or a problem with it.
A .38 ultra lite 5 shot- no issures so far. Only about 50 rounds thru it.

:) So far so good!

dunerunner 04-13-2010 12:25 AM

I have a 24/7 Pro and although I haven't run but 250 rounds through it, I have had not one single issue with the pistol.

UnderFire 04-13-2010 12:31 AM

A few years ago wife got a new Taurus semi-auto that had warranty issues.
After repairs it still suffered from other issues. The store owner let us trade up (w/cash) for her S&W revolver. I shouldn't judge a whole gun company on one gun, but I haven't had that problem from any of my other handguns, rifles, or shotguns.

General_lee 04-13-2010 01:42 AM

I have no problem with Taurus quality, I've shot a few and they seem fine.
Only thing bad i've seen with a taurus is with the milennium series.
When field stripping the millenium, after you've removed the take down pin and pulled the trigger you must be VERY careful to only let the slide go forward and off the frame.
If you pull the slide back after you've pulled the pin and the trigger held down, there is a little disconnect in there that will pop up in the wrong spot and jam the slide.
If this happens, the only way to get the slide off is to break a certain spring inside the gun if you can get a small dental pick in there.
I don't know what spring that is, i'm just going by what my boss has told me. He said he's seen quite a few milleniums with that problem.
I'm not bashing taurus at all, There are quite a few tauries I would like to have. I just wanted yall to know if any of you have a millennium, just remember that once the takedown pin is out, the slide MUST go forward.

Ruzai 04-13-2010 02:24 AM

I have a 1911 form Taurus but I've had experience with the Millinium 45acp. One of my range buddies picked it for his primary pistol for when he works security. He and I put it though its paces and everything was great. He has never had to send it in for anything. Its a dandy little pistol and he can conseal it on him pretty easily.