Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus Pt99....You have to remove the rear sight to clean firing pin channel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus Pt99....You have to remove the rear sight to clean firing pin channel?

I never knew this about the Taurus PT99, that you need to remove the rear sight in order to remove the firing pin and extractor. Why in the world would they design it like that??? Firing pin channels get pretty dirty, pretty quickly. And the pin that holds the rear sight in is tiny as could be. Are the Berettas designed like this also.
This has me baffeled.

MotorG20

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2010, 04:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorG20 View Post
I never knew this about the Taurus PT99, that you need to remove the rear sight in order to remove the firing pin and extractor. Why in the world would they design it like that??? Firing pin channels get pretty dirty, pretty quickly. And the pin that holds the rear sight in is tiny as could be. Are the Berettas designed like this also.
This has me baffeled.

MotorG20
No need for the.. first you have to remove the extractor pin which holds the extractor and lock of the firing pin. then at the bottom of the slide you will see the firing pin block.. its a small circle bulging at the rear end which purpose is to prevent the firing pin hitting your primer without pulling the trigger.. just push it that will release another lock of the firing pin, then you can pull the firing pin at the back while pushing the firing pin block.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #3

Oh wow, thanks Yong!!!!! Everyone was telling me there was no need to remove the firing pin for cleaning, to just spray it out and leave it at that. I appreciate the info on how to remove the pin without removing the sight.

MotorG20

Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #4

i concur with "everyone"

i have over 5k rnds through one of mine, that i bought used, and still have no problems with the firing pin being rough or sticking.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
i concur with "everyone"

i have over 5k rnds through one of mine, that i bought used, and still have no problems with the firing pin being rough or sticking.
I don't intend to remove it very much at all, I was just happy to hear that if I had to remove it, I didn't need to remove the rear sight to do it.

MotorG20