Taurus PT945 halfcock carry? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus PT945 halfcock carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

If you experience difficulty you need to cock the gun while relaxing until it is easy. or buy a tennis ball.[/QUOTE

Wow lol

Old 09-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #12

Default Taking the hammer to half-cock by using decocking lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
One rule is to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

How do you get it to half cock without pulling the trigger?
IMO, that is a negligent discharge waiting to happen when a finger slips.
You don't have to have your finger on the trigger to drop the hammer to the half- cock position on the PT945. Depressing the decocking lever safely releases the hammer to that position.
I realize that Taurus doesn't recommend carrying it that way but it seems more safe to me than carrying with the hammer fully released and laying on the firing pin. There may be a built in safety to insure that the gun doesn't fire if you drop it on the hammer in the fully released position but I don't know that for sure and don't like taking the chance. Carrying uncocked with the safety engaged is not efficient. It can be done and done well if you practice enough but so can any draw. Carrying fully cocked with the safety on doesn't work for me either. It may be the way it is designed to carry but I never could. It also concerned me that trash could get in there a block the hammer. This could happen at half-cock too but the opening is much smaller.
Carrying in the half-cock position seems to be working best me and I guess I will continue until I run across a good reason not to.
Thanks for taking the time to look up the manuals warning on this.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #13

I have to agree.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #14

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

I would carry decocked or "half-cocked" with safety on with a SA/DA. I believe this was the way they were designed and intended to be, and aside from uncocked would be best.

I don't know how you carry, if in waist then I understand not wanting to carry uncocked, as a fall on the hammer would sacre the pissandvinegar outta me too. For me I pocket carry and do so uncocked. I wear straight legged jeans and there's no way anything comes out of my pockets without my forcing it to do so.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #15

Default Safariland paddle holster under my shirt.

I carry mine half-cocked safefy off in a snap top safariland paddle holster under my Hawaian style shirts. It rides a little higher than I prefer and is canted forward more than I like but it is a fair trade off for concealability of a full size 45. Carrying like this doesn't give me the first shot pull of a Glock or an XD but the second round is completly single action and so is the first shot if I have the luxury of an extra second to cock the hammer.
I have better quality carry guns but this PT945 has never failed me in any situation and I have complete confidence in it. That's a big part of concealed carry for me.

That said, I have just developed a problem with the aftermarket ProMag clips I sometimes use when practicing. For some reason every time I fire a round with one of these clips in the mag well.....the clip falls out of the gun. EVERY SINGLE TIME. No problems at all with factory mags, Just the 10 round extended ProMag clips. The problem almost has to be with the gun as I have used these ProMag clips off and on for years with no problems. Can't believe every one of them developed this problem at the same time.
Anyone have any insights or experience with this problem?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #16

Fyi it is the mag not the gun. You need to file the hole that the mag release grabs and it will not fall. Ps make sure to make the hole taller but stay filing the top of the hole otherwise the slide will lock everytime it goes off due to mag being to high. Remember to file a little at a time. Like all fitting you can always take more off but you can't put it back. I got a barsony iwb holster and I love it. Tried to get the king tuk but not available for that model. If you have any questions about your mags let me know

forumrunner_20120926_131247.jpg   forumrunner_20120926_131257.jpg   forumrunner_20120926_131306.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #17

Believe it or not a good chainsaw file works best

Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Honestly I think training to fire out of double action would be more efficient and safer. Just my opinion though.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #19

It is but its slower. Your already having to draw and aim. Depending on holster setup that can ether be a pain or a blessing

Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On my 945, the decocker drops the hammer to the half-cock position. There is no other way to chamber a round and lower the hammer unless you want to pull the trigger and drop the hammer, which is stupid when the decocker feature is built into the gun. That is essentially what SpaceCowby said.