Taurus PT945 halfcock carry?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus PT945 halfcock carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus PT945 halfcock carry?

I have always carried my concealed Taurus PT945 in the hammer down safety on position. Recently, after some time specificly working on my clear and draw from concealment, I found that carrying the gun in the halfcock safety off position was a great boon in bring it into action for me. It appears to be a safe way to carry but I was wondering if anyone else had any firsthand knowledge on this carry style with the PT945.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Yes I do. The hard trigger pull is a good safety to keep it from a accidental firing. I do carry that way as much as I used to due to an incident with a hi point 45 where I could have accidentally shot myself. Scared the **** outta me

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

I still carry half cocked though because looking a real world situations like the Colorado incident

Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

One rule is to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

How do you get it to half cock without pulling the trigger?
IMO, that is a negligent discharge waiting to happen when a finger slips.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

If there was someone in there conceal carrying they would probably only have a sec to return fire and racking the slide might have been a sec to long. I've been very happy with my Taurus except that the rear sight was off to the left a little but a punch and hammer fixed that now so I have no complaints. Got a nice iwb holster and 2 10 round clips as well as my 2 8 round factory clips. I hate how people continually dis Taurus even though there safety surpasses there oh so treasured glocks. I have had (knock on wood) no a single misfire ftf or fte with this beautiful 45. I have nothing against any otger

Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

Other firearm.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

From the owner's manual:
4. On some semi-automatic pistols it is possible to lower the hammer to a
“half-cock” position. This position is the intercept notch.
WARNING: DO NOT USE THIS INTERCEPT NOTCH OR HALF COCK
POSITION AS A SAFETY DEVICE. DO NOT CARRY THE FIREARM AT
ANYTIME IN THE HALF COCK POSITION. It is not designed or suitable
for that purpose. The “half cock” or intercept notch serves only to prevent
unintended firing in case of internal malfunction or in case your thumb
slips off the hammer during manual cocking or decocking.
WARNING: TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE, it is absolutely
essential to USE THE MANUAL SAFETY. NEVER CARRY THE PISTOL
IN THE COCKED OR HALF COCKED POSITION AT ANYTIME.

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/pistol_manual.pdf

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #8

That's true as a safety precaution. I believe its more of a liability issue so they can say we told you so if were to take them to court over an accidental firing. I rarely if ever walk around with a loaded gun. That's just me. I don't load my s&w m19 until im ready to fire it. I learned my lesson when I had a hi point 45. It was my pistol and I was comfortable with price range. 2 months after I got it I had it loaded and fired one shot and put the safety on. It went off still. Bent the safety back and everything. I fixed it and tried to continue to use it. If I loaded it slow it was my ok but if I tried racking it it went off. Sometimes when I fired it it would double and triple fire. Finally got rid of it. I was very accurate but soooo unsafe

Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #9

I said all that about the other pistol to prove a point. I have been in unsafe situations. I put this Taurus thru alot of safety test and it has done wonderful. Regardless no safety is more failsafe than the one between your ears. I never point a gun in a direction im not willing to destroy. Plus I would imagine a 45 would hurt like he'll even in the foot. Be safe everyone and wear ear protection. My ears ring constantly from me not wearing any

Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

It's real easy to draw a gun with your finger off the trigger in practice. In SD situation it won't be so easy. Especially if the bad guy grabs for your gun. If you practice there is no difference between half-cocked and not cocked. You just pull the trigger back! If you experience difficulty you need to cock the gun while relaxing until it is easy. or buy a tennis ball.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/