Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus PT92 Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Taurus PT92 Questions

Friend of mine just purchased a slightly used PT92 with a Lasermax sight and it doesn't want to slide lock on the last shot. It fires fine for the most part but it seems like the casing ejection is weak and then the slide wont lock on last shot.

Could this be because of the lasermax sight effecting the spring or is it more likely that the 9mm ammo maybe had a bad batch and isn't putting enough pressure out to make things work right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd start by trying different ammo and if that don't change it, try putting the stock recoil rod back in.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 09-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is it dirty? And how are you / is he gripping the gun? A weak grip on any auto will result in weak ejection and the slide not moving back far enough for the slide to catch on the lever.

Tell him to make sure he pushes forward with his shooting hand and pulls backward on the grip with his supporting hand. This will hold the gun firmly in place, allowing the slide to cycle without energy being wasted on rotating the gun backwards.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #4

Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Excellent advice above. Also make sure he has/tries more than one magazine.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We both took turns shooting it, went through about...I dunno around 100 rounds. It functioned the same with both of us shooting it and using both magazines. We both grip properly and are experienced shooters, relatively experienced anyhow. I don't own a 9mm though and this was his first, we've both been .45 owners before. The 9mm version of the M&P I shot at the range didn't seem to shoot like this one, but it's a metal frame and the M&P is a polymer so I can't really use recoil as a comparison but it felt pretty light on the recoil and was easy to just fire off a whole mag as fast as I could and keep a 4" group.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1825 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Mine was a POS so I traded it back to the dealer that sold it to me after 2 trips to the repair center.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try cleaning the mags. If the follower isn't coming to the top of its stroke, or if it is slow in moving to the top of its stroke, it won't activate the slide catch in time before the slide starts its trip back into battery.

Taurus guns are packed with grease for shipping, and shooting one without cleaning it out really well will result in things really gumming up and causing problems that aren't the gun's fault.

My PT92 had almost 2k trouble-free rounds in it before I [regrettably] traded it for something smaller.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We just pulled it apart and checked it, the lasermax rod and the factory rod allow the spring to sit in the same location so we don't think it's that. We're gonna try some different ammo this weekend and see if that helps.

Thx for the info.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check the mags. Now that I think of it, I've had the same issues before with dirty mags.