Taurus pt-92 to a beretta 92
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus pt-92 to a beretta 92

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus pt-92 to a beretta 92

I'm looking to buy either a Beretta 92 or the Taurus pt -92 to compliment my Kel tec S2K that uses the beretta 92 mag. I like the features of the taurus over the beretta but the mag catch is a little larger on the taurus and can use the beretta mags and the taurus mag wount work in the S2K. so either I need to try and put a beretta catchin the taurus witch would be ideal or mod the S2K ctch to use the taurus mags

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2LA View Post
I'm looking to buy either a Beretta 92 or the Taurus pt -92 to compliment my Kel tec S2K that uses the beretta 92 mag. I like the features of the taurus over the beretta but the mag catch is a little larger on the taurus and can use the beretta mags and the taurus mag wount work in the S2K. so either I need to try and put a beretta catchin the taurus witch would be ideal or mod the S2K ctch to use the taurus mags
I've had both, I've sold both. That was the first gun I bought after I joined the USN years ago. That was what we were trained with and issued for watch standing, so I wanted one for the range to practice with. I had 2 Tarus PT92 SS since I started going through pistols. The first PT92 SS I had was fine but I had to sell it to pay the bills because of my ex took our money and ran off :-(. LOL I got that situation straightened out then bought another. The latest one was a dog with very little accuracy compared to the earlier models. Lots of play between the barrel and slide. I sold the later one to get the Beretta. The Beretta was a much better pistol. It was a little too tight at first but broke in just fine and became a real reliable shooter. I later sold the Beretta because a friend would NOT quit hounding me about it and made me a deal I could not refuse. Basically, I got my money back out of that one so I basically got to own it for free for awhile. If you're getting a late 92, I would stick with Beretta. Fajitu(spell?)-Taurus's PT92 seems to have taken a quality dive as of late. I had a Taurus Millenium Pro after that and although the trigger was really rough, it shot fine. I got rid of that one too in my different quest for the perfect CCW. I think I have a problem... I MAY be a gun SLUT! Now I just keep em' though.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 10-30-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Beretta is definitely the better choice. Taurus has poor quality control, some people end up with a good gun, others don't.

The only thing I like about the Taurus over the Beretta is the Taurus has a frame mounted safety, Beretta uses a slide mounted safety.

BTW welcome to the forum!
How 'bout going over to the indroductions section and tell us a little about yourself

Old 10-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #4

I've been shooting a taurus the my friend has loaned me for a bit and its never missed a beat. My neighbor has a beretta he want s to sell for 450 so i may see about trying it out. I like the saftly location on the taurus though and the 2 tone one they have out looks sharp

Kel Tec S2K and PF9
Ruger P345 and 10/22
Hi-Point C9 and 995ts
Mossburg 500
Beretta 21a
Chiappa 1911-22
mosin nagant 91/30
so many others on the wish list and so little money

Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't heard of problems with the taurus pt92's. Taurus bought the beretta plant in Brazil and simply changed the name.
A friend has one made in 1993 and going strong. I prefer the taurus having used them both. I wouldn't buy a taurus polymer though.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #6

What about the American Tactical 92 copy for 299.99 at cdnn?

Ive been reading about it and it seems like an exact 100% parts compatible beretta copy. The reviews I have found are good but few.

Unless something comes up its on my list for a competition gun build.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
What about the American Tactical 92 copy for 299.99 at cdnn?

Ive been reading about it and it seems like an exact 100% parts compatible beretta copy. The reviews I have found are good but few.

Unless something comes up its on my list for a competition gun build.
I got an ATI 92 about 2 months ago and I am very impressed with the operation and accuracy. I was looking for Beretta and dealer showed the ATI and for the $$ I thought it was worth try ... I have no regrets.
I have now put a couple hundred rounds (various brands) through it and it has never given me a bit of trouble. I bought an extra Mec-Gar Beretta mag and it works flawlessly, not sure about other parts. I like the all metal construction vs the plastic guide and trigger in the Beretta.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #8

Beretta 92FS, would be my choice. It's my most accurate 9mm by far. The only problem I had with it (besides the cosmetic plastic guide rod) is the hammer spring, which I replaced it so the trigger pull wasn't as far. Works fine for my CCW and for a nice target range gun.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #9

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
I got an ATI 92 about 2 months ago and I am very impressed with the operation and accuracy. I was looking for Beretta and dealer showed the ATI and for the $$ I thought it was worth try ... I have no regrets.
I have now put a couple hundred rounds (various brands) through it and it has never given me a bit of trouble. I bought an extra Mec-Gar Beretta mag and it works flawlessly, not sure about other parts. I like the all metal construction vs the plastic guide and trigger in the Beretta.
I have a question to ask you. Is that ATI 92 made in Turkey by chance? The reason why I ask is because it looks a lot like the Yavuz 16 Regard pistol. If it the Turkish made clone of the 92 series, where would you rate it compared to the Taurus and the Beretta?

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kusanagi View Post
I have a question to ask you. Is that ATI 92 made in Turkey by chance? The reason why I ask is because it looks a lot like the Yavuz 16 Regard pistol. If it the Turkish made clone of the 92 series, where would you rate it compared to the Taurus and the Beretta?
Yes it is made in Turkey. As I understand built by the same company as the Yavuz 16 for ATI with only a few minor (unspecified) design changes.

I have never looked at the Taurus so I can't make a comparison there. As far as the Beretta 92 FS I can say that I can find no difference in the workmanship or quality holding them side by side. The ATI is a bit lighter even with the metal guide rod and trigger. The ATI has fired ever round without a hitch and I have tried various brands and bullet grain. All in all at just about 1/2 the price it really isn't a contest for my needs.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?