Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus PT-92

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus PT-92

I *love* the looks of a the Taurus PT-92's. I also love the 17 round capacity mags. I've heard they are not the best handguns performance wise. Anyone have any advice one this gun? Is it a buy or no buy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1116 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 524

I had a PT-92 back in the 1980's and it was a great gun,I don't know if they are built as good now as they were back then. I know several people that really like their Sig's and Springfield XD 9mm. You might check them out also.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Just get the Beretta and get the real thing. Just got one myself and love it going to shoot it some more tomorrow.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotromus11 View Post
I *love* the looks of a the Taurus PT-92's. I also love the 17 round capacity mags. I've heard they are not the best handguns performance wise. Anyone have any advice one this gun? Is it a buy or no buy?
I was looking at a PT92 at the ma & pop shop in town. One thing I can tell you is that they are comfortable, but the one I held also had rubber grip on it. It's basically the same thing as a Beretta 92FS. Only Beretta is the original and is of higher quality. I'd put my faith in the Beretta and put my worries to rest. Taurus are good. Beretta is the real thing. Still... I'd take my time, look around, make sure that's what YOU want. Remember, if you don't get what you want, what you like, and what you need, you will always be shooting someone else's gun. The plus side to the Taurus is that it costs less than the Beretta. If money is not a problem for you, another 9mm I would check out is the USP. In fact the entire HK line are high-end firearms that go right up there with Nighthawks, and other high-end pistols. Extremely accurate, very tough guns, right out of the box. But that type of quality comes at a high price. XD also comes highly recommended. I don't think XD are very expensive. From what I hear, XD are good guns out of the box. Remember, choose what YOU want. Good luck.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-20-2009 at 03:10 AM.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've actually owned and shot every pistol mentioned in this thread so I can speak a bit from actual experience. While I'm not a fan of Taurus poly pistols at all, the PT92 series are very good guns. I've owned a number of Beretta 92s and I did not find them truly superior to the Taurus at all - in fact I like the frame mounted safety better. Of the 2 PT92s I owned, one was from the late 80s and one was a new build and both were well made and reliable.

As far as the HK USP being the equal of a Nightwawk - not in a billion years. The USP is a well engineered and very accurate gun but it's seriously over priced for what you get. I've owned 3 and I did not find them really better than any of the other poly guns like XDs and M&Ps - just way more expensive.

Bottom line, go to a range that rents a variety and shoot as many as possible to find what works for you...

Old 09-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The Taurus PT-92 is what the Beretta should be. The biggest selling point for me is always going to be the frame mounted safety. My mother owned a PT-92 for years, and I shot it alot. My brother and I put over 10 thousand rounds through that weapon, and we never experienced any notable malfunctions.

The PT-92 is Taurus's flagship weapon, and rightly so. If you are dead set in that design, stay away from Beretta, and stick with Taurus. Beretta is overpriced for what they offer, in my opinion (I can't stand paying for a brand name).

I encourage you to try other platforms out there, though. There are better/more versatile designs, then the current PT-92/Beretta 92 platforms.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
In fact the entire HK line are high-end firearms that go right up there with Nighthawks, and other high-end pistols.
Owning both firearms, and have for awhile now, I have to disagree with you and stamp that post as First Class BS.

H&K makes a good pistol. They put engineering into what they do. But, they have failed on SEVERAL models and their USP line isn't their best pistol to date. HK is a company that produces firearms in a production format.

Nighthawk, on the other hand, is a group of 11 pistolsmiths from the big production houses in the US that got together and opened a CUSTOM firearm production facility. Their firearms are hand fitted. Their firearms are built, and tested, by the same people. Their firearms have ownership from cradle to grave.

There is a HUGE difference between the two companies and to claim otherwise shows a clear lack of understanding of firearms in general and these products specifically.

JD

Old 09-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #8

Im lost in the context here. Is H&K the maker of Taurus and Nighthawk the maker of Berrettas?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotromus11 View Post
Im lost in the context here. Is H&K the maker of Taurus and Nighthawk the maker of Berrettas?
No.

Taurus

H&K

Nighthawk

Beretta

Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #10

Yikes. Nighthawk T3 stainless MSRP is $2,899.95. I'm sure its an awesome firearm, but completely out of my price range. Maybe when I'm old and had it with life and have plenty of money to burn before a terminal illness sets in. =)