Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Taurus issues. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/taurus-issues-26779/)

deathkricket 05-04-2010 09:00 AM

Taurus issues.

I bought a taurus PT 111 PRO in 9mm about a month ago, i got to shoot it for the first time today, i put 200 rounds in it today, i love the way it feels and despite my sights being off by around 5 in, it was easy to make up for and put the rounds back on paper at 10 yards. now the bad, outa 2 different types of ammo, 100 rounds each, i had over 60 jams per type of ammo, it jammed more then it cycled properly, every thing from stove pipes to double feeds, to rounds not seating all the way in the chamber, to rounds as the slide pulled them forward they flew up out the top of the slide, and at one point, a round stove piped with one in the chamber and 2 crammed in behind it, it did sh%t i didnt even know a pistol could do. Now does the Taurus PT 111 PRO have a really long break in time or is this one of the "other" taurus products you here about, i shot from 5 diff hand positions to make sure i wasent limp wristing it and despite my best efforts i got about 3 rounds outa each mag without jamming as the rest jammed. At this point theres no way i would trust my life to this gun because i know it will jam, whats another good alternitive sub compact 9mm for around $400.

deathkricket 05-04-2010 09:19 AM

Just a update i just broke it down and everything inside looks good, but i did notice when i put it back together that the mags do wiggle a good bit inside it, not like omg but more then say my glock, and when i charge it with a round in it i can feel the mag clicking and moving on my pinky finger, could it just be it has bad mags from the factory?

Gojubrian 05-04-2010 09:29 AM

No telling, but I would send it back and/or sell it asap if it were me.

It might be anothet Taurus issue we've been reading about for a while now. They seem to be turning out a new pistol every quarter, but every one has had issues.

I had a pt111 for a while and never had an issue, but I only shot fmj ammo through it.

Quote:

At this point theres no way i would trust my life to this gun because i know it will jam, whats another good alternitive sub compact 9mm for around $400
Ruger LCR, Makarov, Used Smith or Ruger wheel snubbie.

There are others out there just have a look around and keep your eyes open.

Gojubrian 05-04-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkricket (Post 280250)
Just a update i just broke it down and everything inside looks good, but i did notice when i put it back together that the mags do wiggle a good bit inside it, not like omg but more then say my glock, and when i charge it with a round in it i can feel the mag clicking and moving on my pinky finger, could it just be it has bad mags from the factory?

I doubt it, mine did the same thing and functioned good.

NGIB 05-04-2010 10:10 AM

Typical Taurus "quality" - how they stay in business is beyond me. Send it in, get it fixed, and sell or trade it. The price on XDs is dropping, a local store had new ones on sale for $413. The used market has lots of good guns in that price range as well...

deathkricket 05-04-2010 10:35 AM

I was just looking at the XD sub compact and i think i am going for that one.

NGIB 05-04-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkricket (Post 280260)
I was just looking at the XD sub compact and i think i am going for that one.

I have one in 9mm and it's a great little gun.

It's a shame that Taurus "traps" so many folks with their low price and impressive advertising. I'd love to see one of the gun magazines do a real test. Say buy 10 each of the most popular low-priced models and test them thoroughly. You couldn't contact Taurus for the test guns as they'd ensure only good ones were provided. I mean off the shelf guns from the local gun stores. Based on what I've seen, heard & experienced - I'd bet at least 10% of off the shelf guns would have problems.

It's a shame no gun magazine will ever do this and I understand why - look at any of them and they are full of impressive Taurus full-page ads...

deathkricket 05-04-2010 11:49 AM

Money talks, if they pay them to run fancy adds, the company's will want to endorse them to keep getting paid, i see what you mean, if it is my pistol thats messed up and not the mags, i do kinda feel bad to sell it as it will jam in a bind and could cost the lives of who ever buys it. In my mind its more of a moral dilemma like what if say a cop buys it as a back up and it fails him and he gets killed, i dont like the idea of selling a bunk gun. lol i guess it would be the same as being a used car salesmen :)

gunsavy 05-05-2010 04:15 AM

I had a pt 1911 ss . Sweet gun cycled well . But one day it got stuck in between s/f cuz the safety was coming lose and I had only shot about 200 rounds. Sold it it and bought a p226.

deathkricket 05-05-2010 04:21 AM

Well i went out today and picked up a XD sub compact in 9mm so problem solved, very solid pistol, ill do a range report on it when i get a chance to shoot it.