Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus 740

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Default Taurus 740

Hey has anyone had any experience with the Taurus 740 slimlines? I was beginning to look around for something a little more concealable than my G23 for summer. I was thinking G27 and still may but always open and I really like .40 cal. and dont have a lot of cash. Any constructive input is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

No Do not go with a Taurus. I work at a gun shop and we send twice as many Taurus for repair than anything else. Go with the Smith and Wesson shield. Either that or a springfield xds

Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #3

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. I had heard about issues years ago and thought maybe they changed.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Well they have but still, I wouldn't trust my life with one. The Smith and Wesson is only 399.99

Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

The 740 was my first pistol I bought i carried it everyday for 2 years till I saved up money to get a glock. I loved the gun it was very reliable, I currently own 3 taurus pistols 2 of which are semi the other a revolver. To me it's a great buy most people have problems with them because when you get them they are caked with that shipping grease crap. A lot of inexperienced gun owners, like the kind we are seeing now buy up every dang thing are probably the ones having problems. If you get it just make sure you clean it properly and oil it an you will be good. Oh ya I've put well over 2000 rds through mine and I haven't had one malfunction. To me it's a sound gun that the manufacturer got a bad name years ago. But like any other gun make sure you shoot it and shoot it a lot to make sure that its 100% before you carry it.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #6

Default Thanks again

Probably like everything else you get good and not so good... I had several folks say "don't buy the G23, you'll hate it..." I very much enjoy every round I've put through it. If I didn't live in NY State I could probably find someplace to rent and try one or two. But, for now here is shere I live... Thank you for the input I do really like to hear constructive praise and criticism.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

What a git. "They are all bad". I thought it got better. "We'll, it did, but..." Lmao! I have 3 Tauri, each in the 2000+ round count and they're all fine. Lifetime warrantee. Just good guns. Not race guns or custom shop guns, but good guns. And if people's incessant nonsense were to be believed, Glocks are not to be trusted with quality .40 S&W ammo due to poor case support (which is, or at least was, demonstrably true). If you want it for SD, make sure you put a few hundred rounds down range before you rely on it (same as you Gould do with any Kimber, Sig, or Glock), and with the $200 you save, buy a 100 round box of ammo (ouch lol).

I know what it's like to be a little short on cash but need a new toy. We work hard and need rewards from time to time! Taurus did have some issues 20 years ago, but so did Chrysler. Stuff gets a lot better with good companies. They are gearing up to produce more product in America and they stand by their product longer than just about any other company. Give them a shot, do your part, and carry with confidence. I (and tens of thousands of others) do.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadwayne
Probably like everything else you get good and not so good... I had several folks say "don't buy the G23, you'll hate it..." I very much enjoy every round I've put through it. If I didn't live in NY State I could probably find someplace to rent and try one or two. But, for now here is shere I live... Thank you for the input I do really like to hear constructive praise and criticism.
I used to live in upstate NY also and am glad I moved to NH close to 3 years ago. Gunsnh.com is a cool place to rent and shoot.
I did have a PT-111 and the disassembly latch broke. I contacted Taurus and I have been on a waiting list for that part for 2 years. I loved the gun and never had a problem with it except for that.
I also have a 24/7 G2 in 45 that I love as well. I've only put about a box of ammo through without an issue.