Taurus 709 Slim - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus 709 Slim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffxc View Post
I don't know why folks say the pt709 is less than excellent. I have one as my daily carry. I had never had a problem with it until I let a "gunsmith" attempt to put aftermarket sights on it. At that point it had continual FTE's until I sent it off to Taurus. It came back and hasn't had a problem since.

I like it so much I bought a second one for my wife.
Just like with anything and everything produced, quality control can only go so far. There's bad Taurus, bad Colts, bad Sigs, etc... People just like to squeaky wheel whine and do so when there's a Wagon started against a less expensive brand. Gives people a feeling of elitism to mob mentality against things.

It's just like with the SNS guns and these "catastrophic" failures retorted. A couple of incidents are embellished into several by frantic naysayers using hyperbole to suit their personal agenda, aforementioned (reference elitism).

But hey, nobody's perfect. Lol

Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have only shot 2. Both jammed, and 1 had a failure to fire (possibly ammo). I love the feel of them but got a bitter taste in my mouth after those experiences. I have heard they are better now though. My experience was a couple years ago.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #13

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I love my Taurus but there products are hit or miss

Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #14

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Just like with anything and everything produced, quality control can only go so far. There's bad Taurus, bad Colts, bad Sigs, etc... People just like to squeaky wheel whine and do so when there's a Wagon started against a less expensive brand. Gives people a feeling of elitism to mob mentality against things.

It's just like with the SNS guns and these "catastrophic" failures retorted. A couple of incidents are embellished into several by frantic naysayers using hyperbole to suit their personal agenda, aforementioned (reference elitism).

But hey, nobody's perfect. Lol
I don't think I would put Taurus in the same class with Colt or Sig or even Ruger or S&W. I'm not saying these other companies don't on occasion put out a lemon but as a whole I would say the dependability of these companies in their tried and true models is second to none, as is most accounts of their customer service repairing the problem in a timely fashion. Taurus, while having some decent guns seems to still have some growing pains. That is not to say that everything they put out is crap but you cannot argue with reviews from first person accounts who have had problems either with quality or customer service. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, while some have good luck with the Taurus 709, like my friend I referenced earlier, there are plenty who have had problems as well. The way I see it is if I buy the Taurus for $279 dollars and it works out, good I got a good gun, but if it has problems I am not going to complain as I believe you get what you pay for and I took that chance in buying a more affordable gun, I could have bought a Ruger or a Shield and most likely not had a problem.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #15

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post

I don't think I would put Taurus in the same class with Colt or Sig or even Ruger or S&W. I'm not saying these other companies don't on occasion put out a lemon but as a whole I would say the dependability of these companies in their tried and true models is second to none, as is most accounts of their customer service repairing the problem in a timely fashion. Taurus, while having some decent guns seems to still have some growing pains. That is not to say that everything they put out is crap but you cannot argue with reviews from first person accounts who have had problems either with quality or customer service. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, while some have good luck with the Taurus 709, like my friend I referenced earlier, there are plenty who have had problems as well. The way I see it is if I buy the Taurus for $279 dollars and it works out, good I got a good gun, but if it has problems I am not going to complain as I believe you get what you pay for and I took that chance in buying a more affordable gun, I could have bought a Ruger or a Shield and most likely not had a problem.
Couldn't disagree more, i believe that Internet claims have been multiplied and skewed truth and fact. Accounts of issues have been blown out of proportion. Besides it was less an issue with defective items and more a problem with CS, as I remember it. But again, you believe what you want as we all do and no matter what you'll be happy.