Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Taurus 709 Slim (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/taurus-709-slim-80726/)

Sonic82 01-08-2013 11:23 PM

Taurus 709 Slim

Anyone know anything about this little pistol? I'm generally not a huge fan of Taurus, but I do know that have models that are better than others. I handled it in a store and was very impressed with ergos, streamlined appearance, size, caliber and fit/finish. It has a manual safety (which I want...I know, I know)....thanks.

Tackleberry1 01-08-2013 11:34 PM

Never shot one but heard they have issues...

Not a fan of postage to "Brazil" either so I stay clear of Taurus products.

Tack

Renegade44 01-08-2013 11:59 PM

I know someone who just got one last week. She can't find magazines for it anywhere. She just took her ccp with it Saturday. She said it jammed a lot. I believe it was users error.

Sonic82 01-09-2013 01:13 AM

Well...in many respects it is close to Shield or even a LC9. I just thought it was nice looking and intrigued a little.

BeyondTheBox 01-09-2013 01:23 AM

I have dry fired one in store, I too loved the ergo, want one bad, but can neither confirm or deny its reliability. As for manual safety, good for you!

blucoondawg 01-09-2013 01:28 AM

My buddy swears by his for pocket carry and he shoots it plenty, he says it is a good gun. I like the look of them but have read many more poor reviews on them and Taurus in general to warrant buying one yet even though they are affordable, I will stick with my plan of picking up a Shield when one comes along unless I hear many good reviews on the new Taurus and their customer service which I have also heard to be hit and miss

Sonic82 01-09-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1085763)
I ... As for manual safety, good for you!

Well...for that type of pistol, you may be inclined to slip it in your cargo shorts when answering the door. That's a little too close to Fred and Barney without the added safety.. If you know what I mean.

BeyondTheBox 01-09-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82 (Post 1085869)

Well...for that type of pistol, you may be inclined to slip it in your cargo shorts when answering the door. That's a little too close to Fred and Barney without the added safety.. If you know what I mean.

I do, and I'm a major advocate for use of manual safety.

blucoondawg 01-09-2013 03:44 AM

I also like the fact that the 709 doesn't have the mag safety like the LC9.

jeffxc 01-09-2013 08:52 PM

I don't know why folks say the pt709 is less than excellent. I have one as my daily carry. I had never had a problem with it until I let a "gunsmith" attempt to put aftermarket sights on it. At that point it had continual FTE's until I sent it off to Taurus. It came back and hasn't had a problem since.

I like it so much I bought a second one for my wife.