Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Taurus 24/7 OSS shooting "LOW"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1112 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Default Taurus 24/7 OSS shooting "LOW"

Now I know there are going to be all the Taurus haters jumping on this,but I until now have always had very good dealings with Taurus firearms. Last weekend I bought a new 24/7 OSS 45ACP to have as a carry gun in my vehicle. I don't like to carry my expensive 1911's around in my vehicle for fear they will get scratched up,etc.,and I have traded off all my others over the years.
I shot the Taurus a couple days ago,and at 25ft it is shooting about 6in low. I have never seen a new gun from the factory shoot this bad without being able to see that something is not working/bent etc. At first I thought it might just be me,but I grabbed one of my 1911's and hit dead center almost every shot,changed back to th 24/7 and once again 6in low. I cannot see anything wrong with the gun,it functions perfect,no jamming,FTF,or anything.
Does anyone else have the same issue with this gun? I don't want to send it back to Taurus because it takes them forever to return your gun,so I'm going to try to find an adjustable rear sight to put on it to see if I can get it to shoot POA.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's you.

The 1911 has a better trigger, and that has made you spoiled. Work on keeping your front sight on the target as you shoot, and forget about the trigger.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #3

He is probably right. I think the trigger pull on those are around 6 to 7 lbs.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One solution far cheaper than making adjustments to the pistol would be to aim higher.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

While I wouldn't say forget about the trigger, Ranger has a point. A trigger job might help, as will getting back to a pendulum/rocker style trigger again.

The linear pull of a 1911 is a powerful thing, but one that can become taken for granted if you don't shoot pendulums/rockers as well.

Give it a couple more trips to the range before you REALLY start working..

JD

Old 12-19-2008, 02:34 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I have the 24/7 Pro in .45 and It has (had) the Heinie 2 dot sights. Hate them. I shot low as well. There are a LOT of talk about shooing low at the Taurus Forums Just take a look around in there at the 24/7 category and you'll find them. They shoot different. Rather than at six-o'clock position, they are designed to have the front sight dot "cover" the target. I'm not used to that, so redesigned my rear sight with some epoxy, and then cut new slot in the epoxy with my file. Colored it black with magic marker, and then put in 2 small indents on either side and used luminous pain for them and the front sight. Works like a charm now.

The 24/7 shoots SA on the first round chambered. So the trigger pull is not heavy but rather light, around 3 1/2 lbs. MUCH lighter than a 1911 I have shot in previous years. It is the Heinie sight, not the trigger. Mine is crisp and a real shooter. I had a Glock once in .40 Short & Weak and this is so much better pistol than the Glock not even close. Let the target tell the tale.
5 shot group at 15 yards. ALMOST had a 10 on the one on the left. All the other 4 are grouped together.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"